Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

performance module

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 07:21 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default performance module

i am looking to buy a performance module or chip. i have a 1998 polaris sportsman 500 4x4 with EBS. now how do i know if it is EFI or not. i really want one. but cant seem to find one for mine. any help will help me out thanks

Old 07-08-2009, 09:34 AM
Trailblazer

yours is carb. There is no module that will help for power. Sorry
Your best bet is to install a H.O. cam and carb from a '01-'04 and them get a performance clutch setup. My $.02

Old 07-08-2009, 10:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

yeaa thats a good idea. but how hard is it to do that?? i want to get a module for it. so how hard and about how much would it cost. or maybe i could pay someone to install

Old 07-08-2009, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Performance

Ditto on the previous post. You can make it an HO, pipe/jet it, and clutch it. In the long run you would be better off saving the extra $ and putting it towards a newer EFI model.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

welll i dont want a newww bikee im just doing with what i gott. soo what kind of pipe, jet kit, and clutch kit should i get then?? i already have air filter. soo gimme some ideas on what you think i should get

Old 07-09-2009, 07:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

Try ebay.com. There are sport cdi (ignition) that may be increase max rpm, KN filter and jet kit suitable for your atv. I have sportsman 500 HO, I get KN filter rejet carb, but I don't see any increase performance. I think it was waste money.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:13 AM
Pro Rider

Go with an EPI or Dalton clutch kit. I have the EPI one on mine and made a big difference. I also have a K&N and a Iridium spark plug. I don't think you will gain much from a pipe but noise.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Hotdogmb
Go with an EPI or Dalton clutch kit. I have the EPI one on mine and made a big difference. I also have a K&N and a Iridium spark plug. I don't think you will gain much from a pipe but noise.
when you say you notice a difference. how like hp torque or whatt

Old 07-09-2009, 06:33 PM
Range Rover

Make sure you understand that a chip will help a EFI (Electronic fuel injected) model by remapping the way the fuel is delivered and the timing. All the mods that everyone has given you will give you better performance from the carburated model you have. My advice is if you want more power get a bigger ATV. although a clutch kit will help a lot it only changes the way the power you have is put to the wheels. You can also make it breath better but if you want big gains it will cost big buck$ and you would be better to just get more CC's (850XP) Just my opinion

Old 07-09-2009, 07:26 PM
Range Rover

Common guys he's most likely got a budget in mind and don't want to past that. We all know that performance is really expensive beleive me I blew up my budget on my 07 800 sp. If your looking for power from your 500 I would start by a dynojet carb kit that will be suitable for an exhaust (slip-on) the best slip on and clutch combo I've used and beleive it works good on a 500 is the
Aaen kit sold as for a module I beleive power commander makes what is called the cherry bomb for your model of unit that eliminates the rev limiter and also a timing key is an easy install and runs about 20.oo$ With the above mentioned you will see a noticeable increase. If you need more help let me know.

07 800sp, head porting, bored throttle body, high perf cam, advanced timing key, full high velocity exhaust, polaris team clutches, fully clutched, power commander usb3, K&N air filter, front and rear brush guards, front and rear heavy duty springs, custom polaris wheels, 30" mud lite's this was sponsored by Midcity and also Bikeman Performance in Osceola, Wi.

Quick Reply: performance module