Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Will not start

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Will not start

I have a Polaris sportsman 500 (non H.O.). Last weekend, I was able to start it with no problem. I got back from a trip today and it will no longer start. When I hit the start button, I hear the solenoid clicking. If I tap on the top of the starter of few times it will turn over briefly, but not enough to start the motor. I replaced the battery and have had it charging for about 10 hours now at 2 amps. The results are the same. I also tried to jump start it with no results. I also notice that when I try to start it, it drains the battery quite a bit. I just cleaned up the bendix a few weeks ago and it has been working great. Am I looking at a new starter now?

Thanks.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:26 AM
Pro Rider
Default No Start

Sounds like you may have either a loose battery or starter connection. That would definitely cause your battery to drain and not let enough juice for starting.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it will not bump start check the spark plug and or carb(shrug)

Old 07-24-2009, 09:52 AM
Pro Rider

I checked all the connections between the starter and the battery. They are all tight. I even disconnected and cleaned several of them. I removed the spark plug and tried to turn it over with the same results. It would barely turn over and it sounded pretty sick when it did. It turned maybe once or twice, then nothing. I had to tap the top of the starter with a hammer before it would even do that. I did note that when I pulled the spark plug, it was soaked with fuel. I just rebuild the carb 2 weeks ago and it has been running great until now. Also, something broke in the pull starter when I was trying to use that to start it last night so I will not be able to use that.

Thanks.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:59 AM
Pro Rider
Default Start

Sounds like your starter may be bad. Hopefully the plug being soaked is only from trying to start it. If not, you'll need to check the float level.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider
Angry

I disconnected the battery and hooked it up to my truck battery and had the same results. I did notice that it drained my truck battery to the point were it would not start my truck without a jump. That was from trying to turn it over two or three times. I also tried it with the truck running and it put a heavy load on the truck when I tried to start it. I also tried connecting directly to the started. To get it to even turn over, I still had to bang on the side of the starter all up and down it.

I am gonna pull the starter and maybe try to clean it out. Otherwise I will just buy a new one.

I am getting really frustrated with this thing. I have not been able to ride my Polaris in a year because something keeps breaking on it.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:42 PM
Range Rover

you do not have to replace the starter, inside of the starter are a set of carbon brushes, they are sticking. remove starter and take to a rebuild center the brush set is about 65 dollhairs, a new starter is 325 dolhairs, its your choice.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:31 PM
Pro Rider

I was having the same problem as you. At first I thought it was the brushes in the starter, but it wasn't. It turned out that the needle bearing in the starter was completely shot. So it's probably either the brushes or the bearing. Also you can buy a starter rebuild kit on ebay for around $30.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Have you tried jumping the relay? Take a screwdriver and cross the 2 large terminals on the relay(solenoid), it should turn over. These machines can go thru starter motors. If you have replace the starter, you'll need to remove the outer clutch cover, the drive clutch, and the inner clutch cover screws behind the drive clutch, move the cover back away from the starter to clear the mounting bolts.
Good luck.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator
Toxic Ryder

Is there gas in it. Does not hurt to ask.

Quick Reply: Will not start