Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

4-Wheel Drive Problem on 850XP

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 09:07 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4-Wheel Drive Problem on 850XP

tonight i was driving and i put it in 4 wheel drive the ACDC mode and when i was alomst stopped it sounded like a grinding noise has this happen to anyone else yet its just the front making it can someone help?

Old 07-29-2009, 09:29 PM
Pro Rider

I have only had my 850 a few days but on my 1st ride I heard a grinding noise going slowly down a hill. It has not happen since and i have tries to make it do it again. I just assum e it was just breaking in...

Old 07-29-2009, 10:04 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Did Polaris not take care of the exploding Plastic roller cage problem on the new XP?

Old 07-29-2009, 10:22 PM
Range Rover

um i dont know well i was driving up not a step hill then i put it in the ACDC 4 wheel drive and noticed nothing no problem going up and when it was slowing down almost stopped starting to make the grinding noise and i never ever use the 4 wheel drive unless going up hills because there is probably no if any deep mud around here so any one know the problem?

Old 07-30-2009, 04:45 AM
Pro Rider

Only use ADC when you are getting ready to go down a steep hill where you could lose control. Do not engage the ADC (Active Decent Control) while the machine is moving. Make sure that the ADC fluid is changed and is clean on a regular basis. I think the manual says to change annually, but I think quarterly would be much better.
Use the proper fluid! Polaris Demand Drive Plus is now the recommended fluid.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:45 AM
Range Rover

yeah i stop the quad everytime if i switch to 4 wheel drive going to change the fluid is it hard because the shop is like 20 - 30 min drive from where i live i was thinking might just need to be changed had it for 3 months now

Old 07-30-2009, 10:44 AM
Range Rover

k i got back like 20 minutess ago i just switched to normal 4 wheel drive and no sound when i switch the ACDC the sound comes again and i drove back to a good decent steep hill when up in 2 wheel and stopped and switched to ACDC and just going down with no throtttle and the sound came back again so anyone the problem no sound when in normal 4 wheel drive

Old 07-30-2009, 03:38 PM
Pro Rider

I have heard of a couple complaints of ADC noise..also heard that the new fluid will take care of the noise..can't confirm that. Mine made a little noise when it was new,kind of a groan,not very loud,just enough to hear it..it has since stopped. I rarely use my ADC..it is basically an electro-hydraulic brake..so when it is activated there are basically friction plates that are being worn..I turn it on right before starting down a real steep hill and turn it off as soon as I am at the bottom. Easier to replace brake pads IMO.
BTW you can turn on ADC any time you want to..you do not need to be stopped...see even with the switch in the ADC position it is turning on and off every time you apply and release the throttle below 15 mph(deactivates above 15mph)
AWD can be switched on any time except when the rear tires are spinning and you are into the throttle. Nothing happens,until the rear slips,except you power the AWD coil..So basically if the rears are spinning let out and as soon as the tires are not spinning you can switch..any other time switch at will. Now if the RPMs are too high (above 3100)when you switch to AWD the ECM will prevent engagement until the RPMs come down below 3100

BTW..Have you checked the ADC fluid level?

Old 07-31-2009, 11:52 AM
Range Rover

To check it is it the yellow cap under the front rack if so its almost full and i barley ever use ADC or 4 wheel drive but im going to clean it and call the dealer today just got a thing in the mail for the recall and i will get them to check it out 2 while its there

Old 10-02-2009, 09:02 PM
Range Rover

ok lol forgot abou this thread but i checked the fluids there fine i am going to get the dealer i take it 2 get them to put in the new fluid hope this fixes my problem?

Quick Reply: 4-Wheel Drive Problem on 850XP