Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Replacement battery recomendations

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 08:06 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement battery recomendations

My sp800x2 2007 battery wont hold a charge already. The ATV was purchased about 16 mo ago, it was a leftover model.

Can anyone recomend a good replacement battery that will last longer.

Have you guys had good luck with your polaris batterys?

Thanks

Old 07-31-2009, 08:29 PM
Pro Rider

I run a DieHard in my 500,it' been a great battery.I guess any of them are good as long as they have a trickle charge when not in use or started every few weeks to keep the lead plates from getting sulfur deposits which is the death of the battery. Likley your case seeing it was a leftover model,I'd bet the battery is a 06.Any parts house battery should do the job as long as the CCA is the same.Our Polaris battery lasted almost 5 years but we ride it often even in the winter

Old 07-31-2009, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Replacement battery recommendations

Originally Posted by cscotter
My sp800x2 2007 battery wont hold a charge already. The ATV was purchased about 16 mo ago, it was a leftover model.

Can anyone recomend a good replacement battery that will last longer.

Have you guys had good luck with your polaris batterys?

Thanks
Well my first quad was a 86' Honda TRX350FM Foreman 4x4 and the factory original battery failed less than a year partly because the starter was dragging whitch turned out to be a factory defect whitch i found out years later the local Dealership had recieved a factory recall on starter whitch would've been covered at no cost , the stealership charged me $179.99 + tax and total service that i hadn't given premission to perform ; i was told that the battery only needed charged: grand total bill was over $300.00 !

And the on the first of hunting season was cold weather less than 30 degree's and it wouldn start i had the hit the starter button and use my hand on the kick starter at the same time to get to start , and the Dealership owner let his young son do an oil change in the process the kid stripped my oil drain plug ; and he refused to repair the drain plug hole saying it was already stripped when i brought to his shop i told him i would take him to court if he didn't fix it but he still refused !

I bought a Heli coil set and repaired it myself in my Small Engine Service and Repair shop whitch was Lawn and Garden i only took it to his shop because i was covered up with work in the first place , he had told me he would repair the drain plug hole for $75.00 + tax but in the end i made a work order form and charged him $250 and no tax ; when i took the bill to him he again refused to pay so i called my Lawyer on my cell phone and handed him the phone !

He paid the bill after his chat with the Lawyer he didn't like it but he paid , then i asked him how much he would charge me for a new factory battery to whitch his reply was $300.00 + tax , i drove 30 miles to TN and got a new one for $89.50 and needless to say i never let a Dealer work on my quads after that ; the new factory lasted 8 yrs. before it had to be replaced !
I tried a Sears Diehard thinking it would be as good as their car batteries , but it only held up for 2 yrs. , i replaced it with a Auto Zone Duralast battrey whitch was still strong when i sold the Foreman in 2005 to my brother ; i now own a 2006 Arctic Cat 400 FIS Auto 4x4 witch i bought Feb. 7th 2006 if i ever replace it i'll go with another Auto Zone Duralast or a good Gel Cell battery !

Sorry for the long reply this is only my opinion and i know not everyone will agree with me , but this in from my own exsperious , and i hope it's of some help to you !

williebee.........

Old 07-31-2009, 11:48 PM
Pro Rider

I run a Duralast from Autozone as well. They seem to hold up reasonably well. and the price is decent. I paid less than $60 for mine.

I also keep a float charger on my battery now and that will presumably make it last for a much longer time. You can pick one up from Harbor Freight for less than 10 bucks. I highly recommend them as they will maintain your battery and make sure it is always ready to go. Nothing is worse than getting ready to ride and finding out your battery is dead.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:26 AM
Pro Rider
My home made pliers did get the job too.

I too have the '07 X2 800 sportsman, and just like you at 16 months my battery went dead as well. I looked around like Batterries Plus, Wally World, Autozone,, O Rileys, etc, ended up back at Poo dealer, all were around $140 charged and ready to go. Didn't matter about keeping it charged, I ran my ATV through the Winter, you have to remember those small batteries really do not get a positive charge from a ATV system, kind of tough to dojust with a stator plate

Old 08-01-2009, 08:41 AM
Pro Rider
Default Battery

I'd go with a gel battery and most definitely use a trickle charger. What kills atv batteries is sitting and the charging systems aren't the greatest.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider

Check out the Odyssey batteries at Portable Power. Odyssey Battery--about $110-150, before $20 rebate. Odyssey batteries are both a deep discharge AND a high output battery (usually mutually exclusive). They are built to military specifications.

Portable Power Systems

Old 08-01-2009, 08:29 PM
Pro Rider

I've had great luck so far with my Odyssey battery as well.....

John

Old 08-02-2009, 12:48 AM
Range Rover
Maybe you could have your wife talk to my wife?

Odyssey.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

which odyssey battery fits the polaris sportsman ???

Quick Reply: Replacement battery recomendations