Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris reliability

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 07:48 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris reliability

Are the new XP's as reliable as the Yamaha's and Honda's? I love the new Polaris machines, but am concerned about reliability of the engine/drive train and other components.

Thanks.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:55 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

I can see this thread going down hill in a hurry.

My personal experience with Polaris has been good. Actually the 3 different brands I own, all of them have been good. That includes a good maintenance program too.

Now I don't have any experience with the new XP's, so I can't comment on that.

So, everyone that posts, keep that in mind.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

When you're in a forum you're likely to see more people asking questions about a particular problem they are having than people who are thrilled with their machine in general. I also don't own an XP but I can tell you our machines have been super reliable and we have almost 1500 miles of hard New England driving on them. We've had one belt go and I think it was because my son was riding in High gear when he should have been in Low.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Scootergptx
I can see this thread going down hill in a hurry.

My personal experience with Polaris has been good. Actually the 3 different brands I own, all of them have been good. That includes a good maintenance program too.

Now I don't have any experience with the new XP's, so I can't comment on that.

So, everyone that posts, keep that in mind.
I don't want to start a flaming war, but was interested if Polaris products over the last couple of years are as reliable as the Honda's and Yamaha's. I realize that is a high bar but I'm hoping Polaris has made the grade.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:46 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by dorenhagen
I don't want to start a flaming war, but was interested if Polaris products over the last couple of years are as reliable as the Honda's and Yamaha's. I realize that is a high bar but I'm hoping Polaris has made the grade.
Not a problem, just kinda wanted to put it out there for anyone that replies with something like "X brand is junk" and has no experience other than they heard about it from their third cousins sons girlfriends brother in law.

Gonna be keeping an eye on the thread to make sure you get some decent replies.

So anyone that wants to make a pointless contribution, make it a good one because you won't be able to post again for a while.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have the 850xp. I have had no issues with it what so ever. I don't have that many miles on it though. only 175. They are hard earned miles though, Mud and Mtn. miles from Maine and NH. I also have a '07 800 that I have had only one problem with and that was my fault. I over heated it on the trail and had to add river water to it. Then I didn't clean the cooling system out after I got back and ended up having to replace the seal on the w/p.

Never owned a Honda or a Yamaha.

Bob

Old 08-06-2009, 11:49 AM
Range Rover
BUY AMERICAN!

I have 1860 miles on my 2009 Sportsman 550 XP...Not one problem yet...Just sold a 2007 500 EFI DELUXE with 6800 miles ..No major problems...VERY RELIABLE..

Old 08-06-2009, 12:34 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

I haven't had any problems with the newer Polaris's. As for Honda and Yamaha.....they are very reliable. They get this by keeping the power down. Not everyone needs the most power all the time either though.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:17 PM
Pro Rider

For 5 years now I've had Polaris's, and I haven't had to take one to the dealer for a fix yet. Mine get ridden hard too.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:41 PM
Pro Rider

I have 2, 2005 SP 400's. My next quad will either be Can Am or Yamaha.

Quick Reply: Polaris reliability