Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2007 Sportsman 800 EFI

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009 | 04:30 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default 2007 Sportsman 800 EFI idling between 710 and 930 rpms

I have an 07 sportsman 800 EFI, 19.4hrs. I bought it from someone who obviously didn't use it much. Anyway, it had half a tank of gas when I got it. I filled it up two weekends ago and took it to the ranch, drove it around nice and easy for a solid two hours, loaded it on a trailer and took it home with 3/4 a tank.
On the way up there this past weekend I decided even at 3/4 a tank to top it off just in case I had more driving to do when I got there. Used for 3 solid hours loaded it up and drove it home. When I went to unload it off the trailer it wasn't idling correctly (it was real smooth before, now it was idling between 710 and 930 rpms). It is only 2hours from the ranch to my house. I put it in reverse to back it off the trailer and it almost died. It finally got going but you were flucuating between normal power and coughing and sputtering.

Should I drain all of the gas out and replace it? I have checked the oil and it's good. Any suggestions?

Last edited by ABurns; 08-10-2009 at 05:25 PM. Reason: More description
Old 08-10-2009 | 05:42 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by ABurns
I have an 07 sportsman 800 EFI, 19.4hrs. I bought it from someone who obviously didn't use it much. Anyway, it had half a tank of gas when I got it. I filled it up two weekends ago and took it to the ranch, drove it around nice and easy for a solid two hours, loaded it on a trailer and took it home with 3/4 a tank.
On the way up there this past weekend I decided even at 3/4 a tank to top it off just in case I had more driving to do when I got there. Used for 3 solid hours loaded it up and drove it home. When I went to unload it off the trailer it wasn't idling correctly (it was real smooth before, now it was idling between 710 and 930 rpms). It is only 2hours from the ranch to my house. I put it in reverse to back it off the trailer and it almost died. It finally got going but you were flucuating between normal power and coughing and sputtering.

Should I drain all of the gas out and replace it? I have checked the oil and it's good. Any suggestions?
Sounds like a typical short in the t-bap harness. Kit #2875542 harness repair kit with instructions OR you can try to chase down one of the 4 wires for a break or bare spot,but usually the connector or one of the wires has an internal break or lost contact. I still replace em weekly!

Old 08-10-2009 | 06:58 PM
Pro Rider

Check to see what codes it's throwin........I think a 41 is the tbap....If not does it have a K&N air filter.....If it does and the machine has been riddin in dusty conditions you might need to clean your throttle body.....Take off the rubber boot to the TB and visually check the inside of the TB by opening the butterfly...If it has a grime build up clean it with some 3M throttle plate cleaner with a q tip along with the buttlerfly...Let us know....

John

Old 08-10-2009 | 07:49 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Hey, thanks for everyones help here. I went through the diagnostic and no codes are being shown, it shows a WA1E then END.
I assume the the rubber boot to the TB is connected to the air filter assembly....sorry this is my first machine. The owners guide I got is fairly worthless in regard to showing a break down of the engine components

Old 08-10-2009 | 07:53 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

The air filter is stock, it was kind of dusty out there but not to bad.

Old 08-10-2009 | 07:53 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by ABurns
Hey, thanks for everyones help here. I went through the diagnostic and no codes are being shown, it shows a WA1E then END.
I assume the the rubber boot to the TB is connected to the air filter assembly....sorry this is my first machine. The owners guide I got is fairly worthless in regard to showing a break down of the engine components
IF it is the T-bap then usually no codes will show up. Just that the machine will run crappy,backfire,spit,die,etc

Old 08-10-2009 | 07:59 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Can you tell me where the T-bap would be located? Is it by the fuses?

Old 08-10-2009 | 08:12 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

On the throttle body behind the tps sensor (has 4 wires coming from the connector)

Old 08-11-2009 | 11:09 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

I think I found it on the side of the TB, grey plastic connector, 4 wires right? Does this engine have any type of vacuum hoses associated with the EFI?

Old 08-11-2009 | 02:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had the same problem with my 08, 800 that i bought, i asked on here, and had all kinds of answers, the t-bap being the main one, but before i checked out the t-bap i started running 93 octane fuel, was running 87, it cleared it all up, after running 93 for a while, i got into some bad gas i think, i dunno if this will help you at all, but thats what was wrong with mine,

Quick Reply: 2007 Sportsman 800 EFI