Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

04 predator 500 highspeed collision w/ sportsman 500

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 12:27 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 04 predator 500 highspeed collision w/ sportsman 500

Okay, here we go. Last fathers day this predator was parked off of the right side of the road while a bunch of people were riding, and a girl driving a Polaris Sportsman 500 tacked out hit it. Full speed. *sigh* of course the sportsman was undamaged. The predator, not so much. The front left tire was completely ripped off, dangling by a brake line, both ball joints were ripped out, all the plastic on the left hand side were ripped off, headlights smashed out, the left A-arm snapped in half and the left shock bent.

Alright, so sense then most of that has been replaced minus the brakes. The shock was bent back, and the plastics pop riveted back on. The quad runs beautifully and we've been riding it quite a bit the past 3 days. But we just can't seem to figure out the front left tire. It's very crooked and doesn't really seem as prominate in the photos as it is in person.

- left side (bent)
- right side (straight)
- left side

We believe either the hub is bent or when we replaced the left A-Arm we got the wrong size. I would greatley appreciate your opinion so that no money is wasted on unnecissary parts.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:06 AM
Pro Rider

did you realign the front end, and adjust the tie rod when you replaced it?

Old 08-20-2009, 08:46 AM
UTU
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like the spindle may be bent also??? Could you take another pic from the front where we could see both sides.?

Old 08-20-2009, 10:18 AM
Pro Rider

I sure hope you got the dumb broad to pay for the damages. How do you hit a standing object on the side of the road?

Old 08-20-2009, 11:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

there you go on the front shot. Might I add the handlebars are straight in that photo. You can see how bent back the left side is.

As far as the 'dumb broad' - She is family to the guy the predator. He's a good freind of mine, but she doesn't even live fifty yards away, and she just recently dropped out of highschool so she deffinately wouldn't even have the money for some pop rivets. I tired to get him to make her pay for everything but she frankly couldn't and he didn't want to create family tension. I understand that, but I think it is still wrong. On top of this accident, she was in desperate need of a vehicle, so he sold her a rather nice VW Gulf forlittle to nothing of what it is worth and within two weeks she ruined it and went and bought a GMC Jimmy. This girl is seriously a lovely person to know. I told Josh that I'd go hook on her old car, the gulf and haul them to scrap to start getting the money going. But no, we can't create family friction.

I've been riding this predator quite a bit and other then the front left tire it is perfect. The back spring needs to be replaced, so nothing serious. Mainly pulling some street racing around the property. Other then the tire wearing wrong, there really isn't anything the matter with the quad. It shakes about half way up through fifth gear because of the tire, but we clocked 72 MPH tacked out in fourth. So, I can understand why she shakes a little going through fifth

i'll have to get back to you about realigning the front end and the tie rod being adjusted. It's been a while sense then and I have to do some receipt digging :]

Old 08-20-2009, 11:13 AM
Pro Rider

looks like the wrong upper a-arm. Take the tires off both sides and measure from the upper mount out to the top of the ball joint on both sides and compare length. Looks like the right one in the pic is shorter.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:27 AM

man thats in sorry shape, even before the crash. i actually sold my 04 troy lee predator earlier this year. yeah but to the point that upper a-arm looks wrong. and get them banshee wheels from the eighties and crappy tires off that thing, they handle like they have a hinge in the middle as it is!

Old 08-20-2009, 03:00 PM
Pro Rider

I was a bit harsh calling her a dumb broad. As long as you guys were able to work something out that keeps people happy, that's cool. I'm in the process of a law suit from a kid on a dirt bike that totaled one of our Rhinos. He hit her(my wife) head on and bent our frame. His dad was completely willing to pay until he saw the bill. I take that kind of stuff to heart.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

I take no offense to the dumb broad comment, I don't like her one bit.

We thought it was the wrong A-arm, I listed it as a lower though. Whoopsies. It was replaced, so that is probably it. And we did measure the front end with both tires off. It's like an inch and a half too short.

actually the quad was in very nice condition before the crash. Afterwards we've just basically left the cosmetic damages be. New nurfs are in the mail, and theres no sense in putting new plastics on a quad in my opinion. Big expense, little benefit.

The front tires on the predator are stock and the shake is in the front end from the wheel sitting wrong. As far as the rear tires we like to keep them on to blow donuts and spin around. Like I said this quad is just for putzing around the property and doing a few races up the road amongst freinds.

I'll order the upper A-Arm and let you know how it goes, thanks guys :]

Old 08-20-2009, 11:06 PM

well u couldnt of picked better tires for that! im talking about the paint chipping off the a-arms and i personally think it looks silly w/ out lights. it looks like somebody tried painting OVER the silver with black. is the throttle side grip missing? kinda looks like it, kinda doesnt. be careful

Quick Reply: 04 predator 500 highspeed collision w/ sportsman 500