Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2001 sportsman 500HO over heating

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 02:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2001 sportsman 500HO over heating

hi , i m new to this forum , and i need your help , i have a 2001 sp 500 HO and i have several problem with it , the first problem i found that the connection in the (headlight casing area)is missing sometimes , as if i put the atv in neutral the light sometimes not cumming on and i just play a little with the key and it comes on but the problem is that the fan is cumming on also , wich means that when the connection is not good the fan doesn t work properly , so last week i went for a ride in the back roads and after a while i heard steaming noise from the front end , i stop and notice that antifreeze was cumming out of the tank by the red cap , so i stop the bike and had to play with the key to make the fan turn on , as the fan turn on an neutral light came on overheating light came on too , so i didn t see the red light before , i let i cool down and put some water back in the tank to make my way home as i was couple minutes from home , back home i check the heating light ans it never came back on but as soon as i put some antifreeze in the tank the first time (engine running idle ) it suck all antifreeze , the second time also , third time it stayed full . and untill the engine was hot everyting was fine , as soon as i start to run the bike like 300 feet the antifreeze began to come out of the red cap bottle ... now i dont know a lot more about colling system , is my head gasket crack , is my motor head went uneven , every help would be greatly appeciated , and sorry for my poor english , i do my best for you to undestand me .. looking forward for your answer

Old 08-24-2009, 04:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, You need to fix the loose wire in the ignition or replace the ignition switch. I had similiar situation with mine and I had to replace the whole switch. Once that is fixed hopefully the fan will work properly and keep the machine from overheating. If the head was damaged that is where the leak would probably be. The fact that it is overflowing from the coolant bottle, hopefully the rest of the system is OK. You must fix electrical first to determine the possible other damage.