Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

What do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 04:49 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you use?

I was just wondering what you guys use to clean the front and rear storage boxes as well as the racks on your atv's?
They have that rough textured finish that dirt, mud,and everything else sticks into. Whats the best way to clean them? I've been using a bristle brush but even that's a PITA!

Old 08-25-2009, 09:03 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ?

There's drain plugs in the boxes if you hose them out. I usually just use soap and water. Most the time I just hose it off because it's just going to get muddy again. I'll go through it and pull out as much mud/weeds before cleaning as I can. Yes, it's a pain but there isn't a real foolproof way unless you use a pressure washer which to me is harsh. Also, depending on where you ride, if you have access to a watering hole before you get off the trail that helps. I will run mine around in the river a bit to get as much mud and crap out before I trailer it home. Makes life a lot easier.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:19 AM
Pro Rider

After we wash the machines we spray all the plastic, racks, seat, etc with STP son of a gun and then wipe it off. Gives it that showroom new shine. It is pretty inexpensive (around $3 bottle) We will typically use 1 bottle to clean 2-3 machines.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ?

Last post has the right idea. I've seen this stuff from Bel Ray called 6 in 1 that is a spray you put on before wheeling. it is supposed to put a thin film on your machine that sprays off when washed and keeps crap from sticking to it. There's an OHV park up north of here that has a lot of clay and guys sweay by pre-coating their machines to aid in clean-up.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:08 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

To get the MUD STAINS out of the plastic. Give a good rinse of mud glops with garden hose and pull debris from it. Next use good ole mild liquid dish soap in a bucket with warm water. I find I have to do 2 good hand washes. Some let the ATV soak a little, either way its good.

After you rinse from your final wash, dry with lite cloth or rag. Then I apply furniture PLEDGE polish. Polaris recommends that too in their guides. IT REALLY WORKS!

Not only does it get the MUD STAINS out of the plastic it gives a nice shine and a slight protectant on the finish for your next ATV adventure. -- IMO

Cheers,

R'

Old 08-25-2009, 06:15 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

Originally Posted by SomethingFishy
After we wash the machines we spray all the plastic, racks, seat, etc with STP son of a gun and then wipe it off. Gives it that showroom new shine. It is pretty inexpensive (around $3 bottle) We will typically use 1 bottle to clean 2-3 machines.
Son of a gun works great! I use it also for the small stuff(when I actually do it), but their tire foam does the same thing and it's easier to spray on. You have to wipe it off after a few minutes though or it will leave streaks. Also makes the next washing much easier.

Not sure about the seat though....Doesn't that make it very slippery?

Old 08-26-2009, 06:45 AM
Pro Rider

I use Pledge on the smooth plastic's too, but it's not that easy on the rough textured surfaces on the boxes. I finally broke down and used Armor All on them last night. They look good right now but I don't like the thought of getting a bunch of build up on there either!
The son of a gun sounds like it works good, maybe I'll give it a try!
Thanks guys!

Old 08-26-2009, 01:03 PM
Trailblazer

WD40 cleans really good and give a good shine as well! I buy it at Lowes in the gallon can and put it in a spray bottle.

Old 08-26-2009, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider

I use plastic gloss after I clean my POPO. It makes the plastic look better then new and hides all the scratches. It also greatly aids in future clean ups because it stops the dirt and mud from sticking. I spray the whole bike even under the fenders to aid cleanup.

Attached Thumbnails What do you use?-images.jpg  
Old 08-26-2009, 05:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

I use my power washer to get the majority of the stuff off. Even then, there is usually a thin film or dirt left behind. On the occasions I want to really clean them up I'll first power wash, then wash with a sponge and warm soapy water. Then I rinse with the power washer again. Obviously, a person has to be careful with the power washer not to cause any damage to plastics, CV boots, radiator fins etc. My quads are all camo (think dull finish) so I don't go to the trouble of using something like ArmorAll on any of the plastics.