Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

heavy duty front springs

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 03:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 2" spring spacers, as do a few others on here, and they take out the sag when plowing, and don't make the ride any rougher, and I still can do some pretty nasty hills, and not feel very tippy, the spacers I have are made from 2" Diameter metal pipe

If you want any more info or pics, let me know

Old 09-16-2009, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Let me clarify a point if I may?

When I spoke about the 2" lift in the front with repect to hill climbing my point was to address your rear settings. Many have done the rear lift upgrades with the front and so I found for me many don't mention that only all the PERKS to adding the HD springs to the front for the plow, front load cap. and steering improvements.

I found for me it was a huge GOTCHA when I started the rutted trails and hills. My rear was squatted (300 lbs of rider weight did help either, lol) but I HADN'T thought about my center of gravity.

Yes I agree it is the ruts and small humps that are the real GOTCHA's not necessarily the steepness. If all being equal these machines front end can handle quite a steep hill climb. -- IMO

Cheers,

R'

Old 09-18-2009, 09:04 AM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are quite happy with the ride quality of your machine as is, I would recommend only upgrading to stiffer front springs if you are adding a plow or carrying some extra load up front. If the springs are worn, replace with OEM springs to restore camber. I added the EPI heavy dutys to the front of my 500 just because I felt like the front was too mushy. Well, the ride was much stiffer than I had anticipated and I had to crank the rears up a few notches to match, which added to the stiffness. Ended up removing the EPIs and installing the TM2 pregressor adjustable system to the fronts and it works great. Lots of other Quads have adjustable fronts from the factory, why doesn't Polo?

Old 09-18-2009, 09:25 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info toyoman28.
Brings me to some questions. I don't like the way this corners, my X2 500 seems to push and feels like it is going to roll riding on harder surfaces at higher speeds. I was thinking a stiffer spring will help this?

I have a winch already on there which I thought shouldn't cause my camber problem but I can't believe the springs are already bad after only 200 miles on the quad. Could someone have really damaged the springs by overloading that quick? I know the cable for the winch was a mess but really didn't think to much at the time when I had to untangle the mess.

Can I expect my X2 to push more in corners that a regular sportsman 500? I have ridden several sportsman 500 one seaters and they don't seem to push as much. Could just replacing the oem springs help cornering/steering?

Thanks and all input from anyone is welcome.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider

I don't wanna steel the thunder of HD springs but going back to the original post...the cheapest method is spring spacers...I installed them on mine and its level...twisted the rear spanner thingys up a notch or 2 and its levelled out nice...AND I was able to do the fronts without removing a thing...used the PVC spacer method except used a bunch of hose clamps to compress the springs, spilt the spacers. and installed them...pretty darn easy...best method...debatable...but it werked for me and I will leave it at that.
Nothing agianst the Hd spring idea at all..just adding my 2 cents to the O.P.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:59 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

For what it's worth I recently installed the polaris HD springs on my sportsman and really like the results. The steering feels a bit lighter and it handles sooooo much better. Keep in mind that I'm 6'4" 260lb, winch up front, full brush guard, plow mount,rotopax can with 2 gallons of fuel and roughly 15lbs of misc. gear in the front box. Before the switch, the front would dive badly in corners and sometimes bottom out the suspension in rough terrain. Without all the added weight up front I feel that the stock springs were just fine.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by SOLOLUCKY
I don't wanna steel the thunder of HD springs but going back to the original post...the cheapest method is spring spacers...I installed them on mine and its level...twisted the rear spanner thingys up a notch or 2 and its levelled out nice...AND I was able to do the fronts without removing a thing...used the PVC spacer method except used a bunch of hose clamps to compress the springs, spilt the spacers. and installed them...pretty darn easy...best method...debatable...but it werked for me and I will leave it at that.
Nothing agianst the Hd spring idea at all..just adding my 2 cents to the O.P.
Got any pictures of the spacers? Sure would like to see them.

OOOPS found the sticky of homemade spacers

Old 07-09-2012, 05:56 PM
Pro Rider
Old 07-13-2012, 01:39 PM
Trailblazer

I installed the Polaris HD springs on my 500 Touring and they are 100% better than before, easier steering, no push and no bottoming out in the rough stuff.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:11 AM
Trailblazer

I also did the spacer thing as per the above sticky. I am very well pleased as to how it brought it back up to ride height but did not bring it too high as it is still limited to the same maximum extension so does not try to tip over backward on the steeper places. It also took out the feeling that the front wheel was trying to tuck under while diving into some corners. The inner diameter of the PCV pipe seemed a little too loose for me, so I wrapped the strut with black tape enough to build up the diameter to keep the pipe centered. Only cost about 5 bucks and a little time to try so if it doesn't work out, didn't cost much to find out and if it does work out well and the PCV fails, it could be done with metal pipe. Still testing as to the longevity.

Fred

Quick Reply: heavy duty front springs