Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Hawkeye rear subframe failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 10:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hawkeye rear subframe failure

I own two 2006 Hawkeyes and both have rear subframe problems. They both had cracks in the subframe. Dealer called Polaris and I was told we ride to hard. We ride a lot but do not abuse machines, exspecially my wife. Had frames welded in spring 2008. Mechanic was very concerned at original dealer in CT. We ride mostly in NH now so I took them to a dealer, summer 2008, in NH that has three Polaris Franchises. The service manager downplayed the severity of the problem and said original mechanis overreacted. No one told us of this issue in other machines, they said it was us. One machine has the left rear camber out of alignment permanately. On a ride two weeks ago my wife was going down a steep hill and her camber was so off I thought the tire was going to come off. I had to get close to her so she could here me yelling for her to stop. We rode home slowly and found that the front mount top and bottom are completly failed and unweldable. Axle also seems out of position.This is now a safety issue in my mind and subject to US consumer product safety commision. cpsc.gov At first Polaris again said it was are riding. Then they offered just parts on one machine, out of warrenty. I told them I wanted labor because of poor design or I would complain to cpsc and the service manager said if i did polaris would pull parts offer. I have spent about $30,000 on six Polaris machines and have an arctic cat with 2000 miles on it and no other such problems. The whole family rides! I am mad now and I call on all Polaris hawkeye owners to contact cpsc with past or present problems. I checked out recalls of other atv recalls and safety is the key issue. Loss of a-arm support and camber could throw someone of a machine that can do 45mph, that is possible injury or death period. cpsc has ordered safety recalls with less than 10 incidents because of rider safety. All riders spend there hard earned dollars on these atvs and Polaris needs to step up to the plate and protect its customers period

Old 09-17-2009, 06:40 AM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Did you receive notification from Polaris on your recall? My cuz has two 2006 models. He took his to the dealer and after they checked his model they said his machines weren't effected but ironically fixed another recall issue related with the air box area.

Cheers,

R'

Old 09-17-2009, 11:04 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Hawkeye rear subframe failure

The problem is that there has been no recall. I am finding that a lot of people have this problem and if you are out of warranty and the part alone is $240 Polaris is down playing the poor design and on case by case basis blaming the owners. The problem is that it a safety issue that needs a recall before some gets injured or killed.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:55 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Pretty messed up!