Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

polaris 850 xp Vs artic cat thunder cat 1000

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 07:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default polaris 850 xp Vs artic cat thunder cat 1000

guys im looking into getiun a new atv and need it for hunting and off season work, like planting food plots and mowing and stuff around the house.just need sopme advice from you guys im new to the fourms so be easy on me please, Hahah!

Old 09-20-2009, 07:44 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by bdub_10
guys im looking into getiun a new atv and need it for hunting and off season work, like planting food plots and mowing and stuff around the house.just need sopme advice from you guys im new to the fourms so be easy on me please, Hahah!
Thunder cat towing cap...1050lbs...
850 XP towing cap...Hitch Towing Rating 1,500 lb.
Unbraked Trailer Towing Capacity 1,914 lb. Enough said IMO...lol.
Seriously for a working and hunting machine I really dont think the Thunder cat even come close to compairing. Granted I haven't owned one..that is the problem with trying to get a real life comparision...how many people on the forums have owned both? Looking just at the specs,and having owned an 850XP...I can tell you you will not be dissapointed at all...unless you just have to have the biggest cc motor on the market. The XP is made to work almost as much as its predesessor Sportsman...and when you are not working/hunting you can go ride it like a sport quad for fun. Sorry I can't give you more detailed info...as far as I know the only thing the Thundercat has on the 850 is off the line acceleration WHEN TRACTION IS GOOD due to being lighter.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:15 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

I can't comment on the XP's but I am a former Cat owner. Nothing like the new 1000cc, lol. But they really are both great machines, really! I was sold on the Sportsmans when it came to the ride and its true AWD! Both machines have really nice accessories for hunting and utility but I can tell ya as a 800 owner its alot of bike! In fact too much sometimes. Seems like the XPs great qualities are all the improvements on it predecessor and EPS!

Keep in mind your budget, ride and handling, service reachability/support, aftermarket products etc. You may find really good deals now or upcoming months with end of year models. Best wishes on your decision! Not trying to sway you but you would be in good company with lots of XP-Sportsman's fan here and our Forum is the best (that much yes I am biased!)

Cheers,

R'

Old 09-20-2009, 08:17 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by HIGHOCTANE
Seriously for a working and hunting machine I really dont think the Thunder cat even come close to compairing.
Only thing I would add is that the fuel mileage/usage on the XP850 is fantastic for its size. I've heard not-so-good things about the thirst of the Cat. I ride with a guy that's got Sportsman 800 and he always uses more gas than me.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:43 PM
Pro Rider

IMO the best thing you can do it try to go ride both or at least look them over real well in person,then come and ask specific questions you have about each in both brands forums...

Old 09-21-2009, 07:25 PM
Pro Rider

Test drive them both, then decide. My dealer sells both, and told me I'd love the power, hate the handling of the 1000. I dislike AC's trail manners, having ridden a few of different vintages. Besides, the 850 makes 5 more HP than the thunderkitten. The XP is a very refined ride, and I doubt a thundercat could keep up when the trail gets twisty. My buddy's 08 700AC sure can't.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:37 PM
Trailblazer

Here's a real interesting video with the Artic Cat, everyone campares the Can-am to the 850 but no one even mentions the AC.
Google Translate

I think HO will like this video

Oh ya and NO the Can am didnt beat the XP in a drag race.........its a optical illusion

Trending Topics

Old 09-21-2009, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider

The XP-850 rides and handles like a smaller machine which I find is great. I don't think the Artic Cat is capable of that. Physical size is too big on the AC. Just my 2 cent's.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Jomax
Here's a real interesting video with the Artic Cat, everyone campares the Can-am to the 850 but no one even mentions the AC.
Google Translate

I think HO will like this video

Oh ya and NO the Can am didnt beat the XP in a drag race.........its a optical illusion
Vid didn't load for me. If that is Stephan's vid(XP,Outty Cat comparo in Germany)..I've seen it. Cat gets out of the hole pretty on pavement...that is about the jist of it for the Cat.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:22 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

Let me just say first off, I personally believe the Outlander 800 and AC are a tad faster and quicker than the 850 XP, but that is the worst race video. None of them even bumped the tires off the ground at all. There is no way that there is 1-3 quad lengths between them in the first 100 feet. I've seen Brute forces take Outties much better than that, and we all know the 850 is faster than the brute all the way through. If it was a Renegade, I would believe it a little more.

Yes, HO, it's the quadjournal vid from a long time ago.

Quick Reply: polaris 850 xp Vs artic cat thunder cat 1000