Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Xp 850 esp vs grizzly 700 esp

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 07:26 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xp 850 esp vs grizzly 700 esp

I have two 2008 Grizzly 700s with ESP and about 4000 miles trouble free. I bought a 2009 Polaris 850 XP ESP just to see what they were like. I know some hate them and some love them and I don't care I'm just sharing my thoughts on how I see them and how I think they compare.

4X4 system: If you have never had a 4X4 truck before you will probably think the Polaris is best because you don't need too know anything about pushing the 4X4 buttons on the Yamaha on the other hand if you know how too use the buttons on the Yamaha you already know it's a better system. One example is going down hill slow off camber trying to turn sharp to left or right. The front end will push straight down the hill because the 4X4 will not engage because the rear tires have to be spinning to make the 4X4 engage. So like most of us know the Yamaha has the best 4X4 system compared to Polaris. Winner: Grizzly 700

HEAD LIGHTS: Polaris hands down has the best head lights with three 50 watt lights and all three will stay on at the same time. Winner: Polaris XP 850

FOOT WELLS: There both plastic but at least Yamaha has a steel cleat you can put your foot on. Winner; Grizzly 700

POWER: The Grizzly 700 is very snappy of the bottom and feels faster to me and it is to about 50 mph. The XP 850 feels very lethargic off idle but at about 30 mph really starts to come on. My Grizzly 700 will go 65 mph and the XP 850 will do 70 mph. I have only raced them to 50 mph so I don't know if the XP is that much faster to 100 yards or not. Based on 70 mph by the XP 850 you would think it would be the winner but in real world riding on the trail 70 mph means very little. They both have great power on the trail. Winner: TIE

Motor/Vibration/Smoothness: Nothing really needs to be debated here the XP 850 is hands down the smoothness quad I have ever been on!! Winner: XP 850

RIDE QUALITY: Both ride very well at trail speeds but I have to give the edge to the XP 850. At higher speeds the Grizzly is better. Winner: TIE

GAS TANK FILLER: The XP 850 is easy to get to but if you over fill it the gas runs down your automotive painted finish fenders. We all know how much better the Grizzlys tank is with it's automotive type click when tight cap and if you do over fill on the Grizzly 700 it runs down the over flow tube to the ground.. I won't talk about the poor vent system on the 700s gas tank. Winner: Grizzly 700

MILAGE: Grizzly gets about 18-22mpg every tank. XP850 has got 14mpg on my first 3 tanks. Winner: Grizzly 700

GROUND CLEARANCE: They both have very good ground clearance but I like the Grizzly's radius a-arms better, but I don't think it makes much difference on the trail. Winner: TIE

GEAR SHIFTER: The Grizzly 700s shifter is ok and the XP 850 is ok also which to me means they both suck!! But on the XP 850 when going down hill and you slide forward a little bit on the seat you will hit your knee on the shifter ouch!! Winner: Grizzly 700

DRIVE BELT SYSTEM: With the XP 850s 5000 mile belt one would think it would be pretty close but we all know that it is just Polaris propaganda. Some have many failures and some get many miles. I only have 15 hours on mine so far with no problems. If you could get 1500 miles out of the XP 850 I would say you were doing good and if you got 3000 miles out of your Grizzly I would think that it would be nothing to brag about tell me when you have 6000 miles on it and I'll remind you to start to carry a spare just in case. Winner: Grizzly 700

ESP: Grizzly 700 has great ESP as everyone that has one knows but the XP 850 has even better ESP. It steers so much easier at slow speeds, with even less kick back at the handlebars than the Grizzly 700. Winner: XP 850

EXHAUST SOUND: You can tell when the Grizzly's motor is running, but it sounds like a dog and cat fighting. On the other hand, when the XP 850 is running it sounds more like Taylor Swift (SWEEEEET!!!) The hands down Winner: XP 850

HITCH: The XP 850s 1 1/4 receiver is Mickey Mouse And the Grizzlys is also stupid. Why can't they just put a 2" receiver hitch on them? Winner: TIE

PAINT: I guess this only holds true for the XP 850 but the paint looks better on my wife's 1986 Yugo and it still has the original paint. The only time I've seen that much orange peel before was when I was on a field trip to an orange juice factory in Florida. Winner: I don't think so!!!!

RACK SYSTEN: The racks on the Grizzly 700 is nice and fairly strong and to mount the factory box on it it has to be removed which is ok but it takes 10-15 minutes to remove the rack and install the factory box. On the XP 850 they have flat plastic trays to mount there lock and ride system to which I like it's very easy and quick to install and remove your box. For convenience I like the XP 850 system better. I don't think one is better that the other just more convenient. Winner: TIE

STORAGE: I like Grizzlys front fender storage it's very handy and easy to reach. The XP 850 has it's storage in the rear between the exhaust pipes and right above the muffler it's not handy at all, but it does double as an easy bake oven. We put our hot dogs in there on long rides and by lunch time there ready to eat, what more could you ask for. Yea that's a joke but it does get very hot in there. Winner: Grizzly 700

WHEELS: The 14" on the XP 850 work great as do the 12" on the Grizzly 700. But when it comes to finding tires at a good price I think the 12" would be a better choice. Winner: Grizzly 700

DIGITAL DASH: The only thing better about the XP 850s dash is the tach otherwise it's a lot harder to read than the one on the Grizzly 700. Winner: Grizzly700

WEIGHT: Yea, the XP 850 is about 180# more than the Grizzly 700 but on the trail is only slightly noticeable. My wife thinks it's more stable feeling to her and I thing most people with novice skill likely would think the same. The only time I think it feels heavier is when you punch it around a corner to try to pitch it side ways and slide around the corner. It's harder to do because of it's slow throttle response. The Grizzly slides much easier. So if you like to race then the Grizzly 700 will feel much better, but if you like to ride trails at a fast pace you will not notice much difference because of the extra weight. Winner: TIE

JUMPING: I didn't buy a utility quad to jump, but catching a little air off water bars from time to time can be fun. Back to the extra weight thing, I do notice the extra weight of the XP 850 when jumping. Winner: Grizzly 700

EDIT: I'll reserve the right to edit as I get more ride time on the XP 850 and this is only my opinion after only riding the XP 850 for 15 hours, but as I ride I'm always comparing it to the Grizzly 700. I will also add more as they come to mind.

Grammar/punctuation: Sorry I'm a mechanic so you'll have to make any corrections for me.

PISSING MATCH: I don't care if you don't like Polaris or not or what you have seen or heard about the XP 850. This is only my feelings about my new ride. I am only trying to enlighten everyone and we already know that Yamaha is better than Polaris!

PARTS THAT HAVE BROKE: I'll have to leave this blank, because nothing has yet but you'll be the first to know....TOM

Old 09-24-2009, 07:40 PM
Range Rover

Interesting, and a little bit funny. Thats all!

Old 09-24-2009, 08:04 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

Good job on your test between quads. Very interesting.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:21 PM
Trailblazer

good write up!

Old 09-24-2009, 11:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

As someone who doesn't even own a newer quad (and has no brand loyalty), I must say that was a big waste of time. Someone writing a "review" who is obviously so biased ("everyone knows grizzly is better"). Really? Everyone knows? Pointless, I stopped reading about half way through.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:50 AM
Trailblazer

That was for the people on the Grizzly forum. I don't know how to edit it on this site or I would change it and I'm sorry I hurt your feelings and I'm also sorry you can not afford to buy a new XP 850 because It's a great quad and I'm sure you would like it and most people that have them love them, I know I do. If your near Phoenix let me know and I'll let you take it out for a ride. TOM

Old 09-25-2009, 07:35 AM
Trailblazer

I wish I could buy a new quad "just to see what they're like"

Old 09-25-2009, 07:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

You seem to be just a wee bit full of yourself, Tom. First off, my feelings aren't affected at all. Secondly, I could buy as many ATVs as I'd like and pay cash, but thanks for playing the "Let me make wild assumptions about someone I know nothing about" game and failing.

I may be buying a new quad at somepoint, I haven't decided yet, so my research continues. I was gifted an older one from a grandmother, otherwise I probably wouldn't be looking. This old ArcticCat has been fun and I though I might get another one for the family.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:55 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Originally Posted by behindredeyes
I wish I could buy a new quad "just to see what they're like"
There like a used ATV that has nothing wrong with it. A atv 3 weeks old with 50 miles on it is consided used and lost $2000 in value.

A girl I know just won a 2009 700 Grizzy a few weeks ago and is asking $1000 less then the dealer sells it for and has not gotten a offer yet,because its concidered used and she never rode it.

Everyone on this forum is riding a used ATV.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:32 AM
Pro Rider

Your 850 is not set up right. My 09 550 XP EFI EPS keeps up with my freinds 08 grizzly 700 EFI EPS, but neither is close to our other freinds 09 850 XP EFI EPS. I have not witnessed any slow throttle response on any of my four 2 EFI POPO's and 2 Carb Honda's. I'd have your PO dealer check it out. every one of the 6 850's I've been on want to pull the front end off the ground on full throttle take offs.

Quick Reply: Xp 850 esp vs grizzly 700 esp