Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

03 700 Sportsman water pump seal removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 10:51 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 700 Sportsman water pump seal removal

OK, I've searched the threads and I'm apparently dense enough so that it's not clear to me.

I have significant coolant coming out of the weep hole, I've removed the water pump cover and impeller ( there's some sludge of some sort here and there, I bought this used and assume it's some sort of stop leak product). So I see the shaft, with the seal with a spring loaded thruster of some sort.

Some of the threads indicate I simply have to have a special puller ($110 or so), and some folks just indicate they pry it out carfully.

I assume I can't just tug on the spring (but maybe I need to to get it out of the way?).

Just where should I go from here - have at it, or get the puller? I'm about an hour away from the nearest dealer. I have a well equipped garage, and normally am inclined to purchase the tool I need, but if I don't need it, I would rather save the $110.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:18 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

this was a good waterpump repair link http://www.atvtime.com/phpBB2/viewto...6762c0e8c2fe2e but the guys photos are gone now just his instructions remain. Sorry his top of the page photo link still works

He shows the use a srew trick to get the seal out. If the 700 has a simlilar water pump as the 500.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:15 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by biggerten
OK, I've searched the threads and I'm apparently dense enough so that it's not clear to me.

I have significant coolant coming out of the weep hole, I've removed the water pump cover and impeller ( there's some sludge of some sort here and there, I bought this used and assume it's some sort of stop leak product). So I see the shaft, with the seal with a spring loaded thruster of some sort.

Some of the threads indicate I simply have to have a special puller ($110 or so), and some folks just indicate they pry it out carfully.

I assume I can't just tug on the spring (but maybe I need to to get it out of the way?).

Just where should I go from here - have at it, or get the puller? I'm about an hour away from the nearest dealer. I have a well equipped garage, and normally am inclined to purchase the tool I need, but if I don't need it, I would rather save the $110.
The 700 stator and inner cover must be pulled and seal knocked out from the backside along with the oil seal! The puller is for the 500 ONLY! The seals are different between the 700 and 500 engines.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:29 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks, OPT.

So, should I also buy the oil seal, crankshaft seal and magneto cover gasket? Anything else? What should I be on the lookout for, problems pulling flywheel, etc? And is it reasonable to expect to do this with the motor in place?

I should mention that the ATVs are up at our lake home, so I'm now 150 miles away. I need to buy things here to bring with me to be prepared, as I'm blown out of the water for a week if I need a part. There is a dealer about an hour away, but it's a rural area and he just doesn't stock many parts.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:32 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Sounds like you know what to get! Oil seal,w/p seal and gasket. Air impact handy for flywheel removal if you have it otherwise can sometimes be a little tough,also a socket large enough to seat the seal properly,plus dont forget the oil and filter. OPT

Old 09-28-2009, 03:11 PM
Trailblazer

By the way, Thank You as well, TLC, for your response. I did view that other thread and the photos, as well. As OPT indicated, there are differences.

I expect I'll be pulling the stator cover, flywheel, etc as OPT indicates. Parts are on order - impeller, water pump seal, magneto cover gasket, seals.

OPT, can I expect to do this with the motor still in the chassis? Please, please tell me I can. I do have air tools, and as for a seal driver, I have a 3/4" drive socket set, so I expect I'm fine on that front.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:18 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by biggerten
By the way, Thank You as well, TLC, for your response. I did view that other thread and the photos, as well. As OPT indicated, there are differences.

I expect I'll be pulling the stator cover, flywheel, etc as OPT indicates. Parts are on order - impeller, water pump seal, magneto cover gasket, seals.

OPT, can I expect to do this with the motor still in the chassis? Please, please tell me I can. I do have air tools, and as for a seal driver, I have a 3/4" drive socket set, so I expect I'm fine on that front.
Can be done with engine in frame,just pull right floorboard to make it easier to work on.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:38 PM
Trailblazer

OPT, just a few more questions, I hope.

I just obtained a service manual for this thing. It shows two special tools (little cylindrical plastic thingies called seal protectors) used to protect the seals when re-installing the engine cover. Can I, with care, get by without these?

And the flywheel puller - will a standard three jawed puller get me by?

Sorry for being a pest.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:37 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Three jawed puller will work,its what I use also! Just be careful on installing cover back on and seals will be ok. OPT

Old 09-30-2009, 06:30 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NO NO NO!!!!!! Don't buy all of that!!!!!
I replaced my seals last spring. All you need to buy is the water pump seal, but while your in there you might as well do the oil seal.

All you need are two self tappping screws. Screw them into your water pump seal and grab them with pliers and pull the seal out. Do the same for the oil seal. There is no need to drive them out from the back or to buy a $110 pulller.

I used a 1" pvc double female connector to drive the seals in. Be very careful with the water pump seal.

Quick Reply: 03 700 Sportsman water pump seal removal