Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2008 Polaris Sportsman ADC (Active descent Drive) grind

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 07:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Polaris Sportsman ADC (Active descent Drive) grind

I went riding the other day and went down a steep hill. I turned on my ADC and it started to grind. I have used it in the past and never heard that noise. It did however work and I made in down the hill slowly. I turned it off at the bottom and then turned it back on. I still heard the noise, sorta like a grinding noise. I checked the fluids in the ADC and the front differential and they were full. Anyone ever had this problem? Any advise?

Old 10-01-2009, 10:02 PM
UTU
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like air in the ADC bleed the system and see if that is what it is. All I have heard that would cause this......

Old 10-02-2009, 08:41 AM
Pro Rider

There is also a new fluid out called "Demand Drive Plus" It's a Polaris product. If your fluid is getting dark looking try changing it out and using this fluid. Ask your dealer about it! I've got it in mine and it seems to work well.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:54 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

unless it got drained or had a whole in it somewhere i dont see how air would go in there. i know there is a differn e between the demand drive oil and demand drive LT oil so at least make sure its the LT oil if you replace unless this new plus oil is a direct replacement oil for the LT oil.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:14 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by stendori
I know there is a difference between the demand drive oil and demand drive LT oil so at least make sure its the LT oil if you replace unless this new plus oil is a direct replacement oil for the LT oil.
The Demand Drive Plus, IS a replacement for the LT fluid. The bottle say's,
"Use in place of LT fluid, ADC fluid and Demand Drive fluid".
It does also say, "NOT designed to replace Angle Drive Fluid"!

Old 10-03-2009, 11:08 AM
Trailblazer
Default ADC grinding

I have had this problem on my 07 x2. It started one week after I bought it, some times it would stay on and the atv would struggle to get going. I was told by the dealer this was the first case of this, which became wide spread. A lot of dealers were still using the old final drive oil. Start with putting fresh oil in the front diff. I also put in a switch to switch off the ADC till needed, your machine should have it being an 08, get one if it doesn't. Unfortunately the ADC diffs are not as good as the other ones, there is a whole bunch of plastic parts in them. I saw it first hand when the dealer had the diff apart, polaris replaced the diff at no cost. Polaris said its cheaper to replace than repair, the plastic bits wear and break up in tiny bits that cause all kinds of havoc, try not to use the Adc unless you really have to. I hope it doesn't get as bad as mine did.

Old 10-03-2009, 12:18 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rancher55
The Demand Drive Plus, IS a replacement for the LT fluid. The bottle say's,
"Use in place of LT fluid, ADC fluid and Demand Drive fluid".
It does also say, "NOT designed to replace Angle Drive Fluid"!
so this replacing the LT fluid and you cant get any more? good to know .

Old 12-06-2009, 10:36 PM
Trailblazer

My ADC on the Polaris 700X2 started making noise after the dealer changed all the fluids including the ADC fluid My dealer is 300 miles away so trying your solution sounds easier :-). How do you bleed the ADC?
Thanks!

Old 12-06-2009, 11:38 PM
Trailblazer
Default Adc grinding noise

Sorry to here that your diff is now grinding. What color is the fluid in the diff now? If its black change again. I can't remember how to bleed the adc but I can get hold of a service manual and will relay the info to you. As for the noise, the service manual did say that its a sign of internal wear; the wrong fluid can cause wear too. With my x2 I had the dealer install a switch on the left side of the bars. It was an aftermarket light switch and had it hooked up to the adc wiring harness. I did this to switch off adc until I needed it, and was before polaris did the same thing. It will greatly reduce wear in the diff as the parts are plastic, your stopping will be more gradual too. It cost me $220cdn to do it but it meant I wouldn't need to worry about the plastic in the diff or have another diff installed after six months. Let me know how you get on.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:41 AM
Range Rover
BUY AMERICAN!
Question

Just had my front differental changed on 2009 Sportsman 550 XP..At around 2800 miles started making noise..The dealer changed unit a 3100 miles under my extended warrenty..07 Sportsman 500 EFI DELUXE same thing around 3000 miles..

Quick Reply: 2008 Polaris Sportsman ADC (Active descent Drive) grind