Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

New guy w/04 Sportman 500 and water issues.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 08:02 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy w/04 Sportman 500 and water issues.

Awesome looking forum with lots of info and hope I can get some help.
I accidentally submerged my bike recently with water up to the handlebars. This is what I've done so far after getting towed in. Drained the air box and drive belt housing immediately, got back and pulled the spark plug and pulled the rope to get water out of spark plug hole, changed the oil 3-4 times before putting in new polaris oil and filter, new air filter and changed transmission fluid. After doing all that, it would start and idle fine but bog when giving it gas so I drained the carburator bowl and kept messing with it and it finally would rev up and smoke or steam poured out of the belt housing. Now, I'm thinking life is good until I try and test drive it and it went about 15-20 yards and died. Started right back up and same thing but now goes maybe 15-20 ft. before dying. Motor also sounds like it's knocking (clicking) on the right side of the engine.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:42 AM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

If you submerged it as bad as you say I'd also go through all the electrical connection, do an inspection for moisture and coat all with electrical grease. Might fix your problem, might not? But it definitley won't hurt.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:45 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Thanks

Thanks for the response ReadyMixer, I'll give that a shot. Can a moderator please redirect my post if I've posted this in the wrong forum? I understand I'm new here but one would think drowning bikes is fairly common and I can't believe I've only got one response out of 34 views.

Thanks

D

Old 10-13-2009, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider

I had a problem like this about 2 weeks ago. I got into some deep mud and water and it would spit and sputter every time I would hit the throttle. I had zip tied the plug wires to the frame so I cut that off and changed both plugs, as soon as I did that it ran like new. I just had it in water over the seat and it ran like a charm! Oh I also cleaned out the plug wire boots as they were really really dirty. Hope this might help a bit.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:06 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

You are in the right place for answers. I don't think anyone else has responded since it sounds like what you've done so far plus my suggestion has about covered nearly everything. And like I said before check all electrical components. It sound to me like that might be your issue. Water has a funny way of getting into things that it's not supposed to, regardless of how sealed they are.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely want to hit those electrical connections. Check your oil to see if it's milky at all. If so, you still have some water in there. Pull the drain plug on your muffler too & make sure that is empty. Water gets into everything when you swamp it that bad!

Old 10-19-2009, 01:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

I feel like I may have done more damage to the bike by running it after I changed the fluids. The fact that it starts up fine and revs but dies after a few feet under load, can anyone provide insight? It wasn't knocking before my brief test ride now it's knocking bad, could this be the valves need adjusting or does it sound like there is other internal damage?