Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

hole in rim

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hole in rim

this past weekend we were riding some rocky/rutted trails and some how i got a small hole on the inside of my rim. talk about a bad weekend! i tried slime but that didnt work so now i get to take the tire off and clean it out and somehow fix that hole. anyone know if the rim is cast allum? im not sure how i should go about fixing it but i was thinking jb weld first and if that didnt work take it somewhere that has a tig and try to fill the hole. and if i do that will the rim be off balance?? any help would be great.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:53 PM
Range Rover
Maybe you could have your wife talk to my wife?

I wouldn't trust JB Weld for anything that involved serious bouncing etc.... Get the thing welded up. Any weldor worth his weight should be able to do it easily. Then rebalance the tire/wheel.
cc

Old 10-12-2009, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider

If the hole is a bent in type of hole then the person welding should/will grind off the excess,clean it up then fill the hole flush so what difference in weight should be almost immeasurable.
I am not sure if they will weld on the wheel if it is magnesium.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider

I thought the rims were allum cast. Ill have look into that. Thanks guys.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:20 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

Originally Posted by MrMarty51
If the hole is a bent in type of hole then the person welding should/will grind off the excess,clean it up then fill the hole flush so what difference in weight should be almost immeasurable.
I am not sure if they will weld on the wheel if it is magnesium.
No big deal if it's steel or aluminum, (easy fix) I doubt your rim is made of magnesium, if it is that'll be the first I've ever heard of for an atv. If in fact it is magnesium, good luck finding someone to repair it.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:43 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by wlvrn
I thought the rims were allum cast. Ill have look into that. Thanks guys.
You are probably right,I do`nt know if the manufacturers quit using magnesium for wheels,if they did`nt they should.LOL

Old 10-13-2009, 06:48 AM
Trailblazer

I had the same thing happen to my rim. Rock got caught between the rim and caliper. Just take the tire off and take it to an aluminum welding shop, doesn't take long at all. It won't affect the balance to much as you really don't get going at a high speed all to often I assume, since most trail riding is done at a low to medium speed. I never noticed any more balance/wobble issues after I had the rim fixed.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:41 PM
Pro Rider

it just got a bath so tomorrow ill get the rim off and take it to the shop down the road and see what they say.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:50 PM
Chasing trails, Dodging dust devils.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Defiantly have it welded...just to make sure no stress fractures develop.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:06 PM
Pro Rider

I had that happen two weeks ago to my alluminum x2 rims.http://forums.atvconnection.com/pola...minum-rim.html
A large stone caught the caliper also and put a large puncture into the dish of the rim. Had a buddy weld it up and took her out this weekend and she felt good as new. Although since the weld will potentally catch a stone even easier against the caliper I put the welded rim on the left side that doesnt have the brake so It will have more clearance.

Quick Reply: hole in rim