Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

scrambler problem please help :)

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009 | 11:13 PM
afk
|
Weekend Warrior
Default scrambler problem please help :)

imma try to explaine this from the start LOL

ok so i was riding my 99 scrambler 400 4x4 around when out of nowhere i herd some kinda noise like something being torn up in a fan or something the atv stalls and when i try to start it it just Clanks. and stops. ie its dead locked. pull start stuck as well. so i rip the side cover off thinking something got jammed in the belt. but found nothing. after forcing the clutches outside to spin by hand a few times "and some hammering quite hard" filially it seems like it released and it started back up. issue is it runs hard. still feels like theres major sticking by the clutches ie.. if u keep it reved high it will stay started. often u need the choke on tho or it stalls right out. i've been trying to figure out whats wrong i know the starter was starting to go cause it would whine bad. i had thought maybe the starter bendix had ripped off inside and caused some sort of damage but i am unsure. i just know it runs ruff and won't go over maybe 15mph. when trying to move the clutches it still seems like its stuck or too tight to spin. i'm not sure where to go from here. anyone have this issue before? im not sure what to go about replacing? the issue is very confusing. any help would be great. thanks in advance.

Tim.

Old 11-29-2009 | 08:39 AM
Pro Rider
My home made pliers did get the job too.

The first part of your post sounds like piston seize, and what ever your hammering against, and the better question is "why" you would do that, freed up the piston and rings against cylinder wall. First do a compression check, and see what "silver" colors you have on the plug

Old 11-29-2009 | 06:45 PM
afk
|
Weekend Warrior

the reason for hitting the secendary clutch is i had a sportsman do the same thing hammered it and it came loose. otherwise its find a tow truck thats willing to go down in the woods. i'd rather drive it home then try to find someone to pull it out. as for the engine at first i thought it had seised as well. but its odd i was very easy on the throttle going maybe 15mph when it just stalled like that but kept rolling. i'm on vacation but when i go home end of dec i will check the plug. i don't hear no clanking or anything or any odd smoke that would sugust the engine is bad. just don't seem like its running right. where would i get a tool to check the compression ?

Old 11-29-2009 | 08:03 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

first off, did you pull the belt off or was the primary clutch open (belt not engaged) and did you try to spin the primary clutch over (w/out the belt moving)by hand to see if the engine will turn freely? if the engine would not turn freely then chances are it might have seized the engine,or fly wheel had something happen to it to have something jam it. not sure if the counter balancer would have the same effect or not. anyways if it was the engine that made it stop, DON'T keep running it until you find waht happen as your most likely causing more damage.

Old 11-30-2009 | 12:02 AM
afk
|
Weekend Warrior

when i pulled the cover off the belt wasnt engaged anymore. ie no tenson. when u'd go to kick it over it would just clank near the starter. it would not turn freely. had to actully take a pry bar and force it to spin a few times. then it turned over fine. i'd asume its time to just junk it i got a prairie 650 last month i intended to replace it with. i've had a lot of issues with this machine since i got it. ie breaks every week. my blaster was more relibule then this thing. the sportsman was the same way. so it seems like an engine issue any idea what its going to cost a shop to rebuild? if its more then $250 its being parted out. its not wroth that 2 me. seeing as it was rebuilt last year. by a friend before i got it from him. i had intended to get a new rzr next year but now i think imma stay clear of polaris. anywho let me know.

Old 11-30-2009 | 04:42 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

you should just part it out and move on.

Old 11-30-2009 | 05:54 PM
Pro Rider
My home made pliers did get the job too.

Agree

Old 12-01-2009 | 08:49 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds more like an engine issue then a clutch. My guess would be a stuck piston or a broken bottom part of the piston skirt, maybe a crank bearing. Like said above do a compression check, you can get a gauge at a dealer or car part store. Chances are when you get into the motor it will cost more then 250.

Old 12-01-2009 | 08:21 PM
afk
|
Weekend Warrior

oh 1 more thing to add. the starter was grinding rather badly before i took it out that day. i just remembered a buddy had a similer issue with a trailblazer is it posibule the starter bendix or gearing got caught in the clutch or something of the sorts?

Old 12-02-2009 | 04:57 PM
Pro Rider

in the fly wheel you mean ?? possible try taking the recoil-rope assembly off and have a look see.

Quick Reply: scrambler problem please help :)