Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

HELP 800 Sportsman problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 07:02 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP 800 Sportsman problems

I have an X2 800 Sportsman that has come into some issues. I was hauling out a deer last saturday night and when I got the bike on the trailer, pitch dark, I could see the exhaust was cherry red!! Plus the front right hub has this weird "clicking" noise in 2 or 4 WD.

Any idea what is going on? I could not get the dam radiator cap off but there is a bit of coolant in the overflow and in the tube.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:19 PM
Pro Rider
Has ridden Rockhouse and Bearwallow trails.

My guess on the clicking noise is one of your cv joints, most likely one of the outer fronts. had the same problem with mine. as to the pipe I'm sure someone with more experience with that will throw in there .02 cents.

good luck

Old 12-02-2009, 08:21 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

did your bike overheat? it's not uncommon for these bikes to have cherry red exhaust exhaust manifolds near the engine. as far as the clicking goes it may sound like you have a bad cv joint or baring. check to see if the boot is ripped or loose where water and mud got in. there should be coolant in the overflow tank to the full when hot mark or to the cold mark when the bike is cold.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:59 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the reply guys. The CV boot does not seem to be lose or ripped, but its gotta be a bad CV. As to the pipe, I dont think the bike overheated, heck I only went abut 1/4 mile each way, it was a hard muddy ride in low with 2 guys and a deer on the way out though.

Is it normal for the pipe next to the motor to get cherry red? You would not see it get red unless it was at dark.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:52 AM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Its common for your RAD fins to get plugged with the mud and overheat. I would think though if that happened your fan would be in OVERDRIVE so to speak and you would get HOT HOT HOT msg on your Speedo? BTW what about the deer? Was it a doe or buck?

Regards,

R'

Old 12-03-2009, 05:52 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

is the fan working on the bike? some have reported a cherry red pipe on thier bike w/ out any issues. you could also check the spark plugs to see if the bike is running extremly lean. seems to me, it would throw of a code if there was a lack of fuel issue being it's a efi. imo

Old 12-03-2009, 10:49 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by stendori
is the fan working on the bike? some have reported a cherry red pipe on thier bike w/ out any issues. you could also check the spark plugs to see if the bike is running extremly lean. seems to me, it would throw of a code if there was a lack of fuel issue being it's a efi. imo
Lack of fuel issue being its efi ? Then what you are saying is the bike has an 02 sensor to make lean or rich adjustments

Old 12-03-2009, 06:35 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

the spark plug tells all as far as running lean or rich. i beleave the bike is designed to go into a run rich mode when something happens in the sensors department. so for the most part it should be running rich. so what i guess i'm trying to say is if the pipe is running cherry red from a excessive heat issue, it might be because its some how has a lean condtion. i do beleave because the exhaust header pipes are thin metal is the main cause of the red showing at night. these are primary just guesses if that makes it makes sense to you.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:37 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by RticKwad
Its common for your RAD fins to get plugged with the mud and overheat. I would think though if that happened your fan would be in OVERDRIVE so to speak and you would get HOT HOT HOT msg on your Speedo? BTW what about the deer? Was it a doe or buck?

Regards,

R'

This dude needed a ride out, seems a bullet from my 7-08 drilled him in the neck, odd.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

What breed of rifle is that?

Quick Reply: HELP 800 Sportsman problems