Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

850XP Won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 04:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidXP
I have the very same problem (filter wrench) and fouling plugs i have changed the plugs and the oil and the air filter (K&N) and i tried it again today and another really crappy start i have had the reflash and i know its gettting cold here but it should start better for a new machine nno????

Something must be wrong , my carb fired right up & ran great today and we got lot's of cold and snow in the Sound . I'm going to be a nervous camper the day I have to replace this machine with a EFI .

Old 12-08-2009, 05:04 AM
DCT
Banned

Originally Posted by Spdecat
I'm going to be a nervous camper the day I have to replace this machine with a EFI .
Me too... never mind the fact that the EFI machine probably won't have a pull start.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:51 AM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

The EFI and no pull starts have been around since 2003, I believe. I hadn't heard much problems with the EFI over the carb, or people stranded with no pull start. Anything bigger than a 500, I doubt you could pull start anyhow.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:14 PM
Range Rover

I just went out to the garage to start the 850 cuz theres a large snow storm on the way and she turns over but won't start!!!

I think it's time for a 4 sale sign!

Old 12-08-2009, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider

Plugs?

Old 12-09-2009, 01:29 AM
Pro Rider

All I know is I bought a 2008 carb because I wanted nothing to do with EFI and all that comes with it . I never paid for extended warranty , never needed it and put that money towards other things . I ride almost exclusively by myself , putting 6000 miles on in 19 months . I read on this form daily of EFI problems that have occurred with very few miles and I think what kind of problems and expense I might of went through given my mileage . I wanted and bought a quad that I trust , it gives me no Hazel , starts every time and I trust it . I trust my bike with 6000miles like I did when it had 6 miles , it run's the same today as when I bought it . I guess what I'm saying is where does EFI make things better , you pay more for a EFI machine but what really do you get more . And don't say they start better lets have a good decision .

Old 12-09-2009, 11:52 AM
Pro Rider

Are you guys pushing on the thumb throttle when you turn the key?
I have had mine sitting out at 10 deg. and just turn the key.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:48 PM
Trailblazer

My xp 850 always start temp go very low here and it always start . but if you start it do a ride,that big twin don t like the start and stop just to show the sound to your friends.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had the same problem with my 850. I started it and moved it, started it again and moved it and so on. Never really got it warmed up. I went to ride it and it would not start. Pulled the plugs, but they did'nt looked fouled to me. Took it into the dealer and sure enough they put new plugs in it and no problem! Runs like a champ now. Dealer said every time you start it you need to get it to operating temp. It would be nice to have a temp gauge to know what operating temp is!

So now I carry extra plugs! I had know idea it was that easy to foul plugs!

Old 12-11-2009, 01:22 AM
Range Rover

Lol, you must have never owned a snowmachine.

OK - PROBLEM SOLVED - From what I understand, the 850XP's original plugs have been replaced by another plug. Both made by Champion and are almost exclusive to POPO dealers. The old plugs were a REA6MC (champion) The replacement plug is a REA8MCX (champion). They upped the heat range. I was told to start the machine and DON'T EVEN TOUCH THE THROTTLE UNTIL SHE WARMS... The computer is trying to establish what it wants to do and if you confuse it - it plays havic on the plugs.

After a week wait, I finally got my plugs I ordered. I found a replacement to the Champions thanks to the help of these awesome sites. It's a NGK Laser Irridium plug (part #) ILZKAR7A10. NGK part #6043. These are a little more costly but will last much longer. The original champions were a temp rating of 6, the replacements are overkill with a temp rating of 8. These NGK's are a temp rating of 7 and come pre-gapped at .40 (don't adjust Irridiums). They were original intended for a 2008' Mercedes Benz 6.3 Liter.

All I have to say is - half a turn and she fired up and idles awesome - I will always let it warm up for a minute - and I hope this info helps someone else out.

The only place I could find this plug is at ClubPlug.com. or at sparkplugs.com

Sparkplugs.com - Application Search Results

Extreme Long Life Laser Iridium Plug, 12mm Thread, 26.5mm (1.04") Reach, 9/16" (14.3mm) Hex Size, Gasket Seat, Resistor, Extended Projected Tip, Solid Terminal, Extended Projection, Wide Gap, Iridium Tipped Fine Wire Center Electrode and Platinum Tipped Ground Electrode, .040" (1.016mm) Gap, Heat Range 7

Jeff

Quick Reply: 850XP Won't start