Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Cam Compression release spring preload SP500

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 05:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Compression release spring preload SP500

{99 Sportsman 500} My Polaris manuals go up to only 97 models.Would this pic from my manual be correct for the 99 models on the camshaft compression release spring as far as preload.

Attached Thumbnails Cam Compression release spring preload SP500-dscn3916.jpg   Cam Compression release spring preload SP500-dscn3920.jpg  
Old 12-16-2009, 08:42 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Same for the 99 and later models also. OPT

Old 12-16-2009, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks,just making sure. Charles

Old 12-16-2009, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider

Should the spring return the decompression lever to the pin at any position of cam rotation,the reason I ask I replaced the spring with a new one thinking the original was weak and with the LH cam cap off using the pull rope noticed at different positions of the cam the lever would not return to the dowel pin on the cam,the counter weight of the lever would over power the spring,I assume this is the way it works.That is the reason I asked if the manual I have was correct

Old 12-17-2009, 08:53 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Yep! counter weight will return to stop pin at any position if installed correctly. Enertia from turning engine over throws the counter weight out allowing exhaust valves to open slightly making easier cranking. When started it stays in place against stop. OPT

Old 12-17-2009, 11:02 PM
Pro Rider

I have the new spring installed according to the manual and the same way it was removed or I think I do,the old spring did not seem to have enough tension to return it to the stop depending on the location of the weight,neither does the new one.Here are some pics when I removed the cam cover before installing the new spring.Playing around with a old wiped out cam here at my desk seems the only way I can get the spring to return to the resting stop at any position of the cam is to prewind/preload the spring one turn which I did not do on the new spring I installed.I have some odd starting issues that started about a week ago I cannot figure out http://forums.atvconnection.com/pola...-new-post.html

Attached Thumbnails Cam Compression release spring preload SP500-dscn38390001.jpg   Cam Compression release spring preload SP500-dscn38400001.jpg   Cam Compression release spring preload SP500-dscn38410001.jpg  
Old 03-06-2013, 04:09 PM
Trailblazer

just wondering if you ever found out why the starter is dragging mine is doing the exact same thing as yours

Old 03-06-2013, 04:39 PM
Pro Rider

Actually to this very day no,Replaced starter,starter drive,battery,decompression spring,inspected decompression lever/ball,replaced rocker,checked all grounds,without belt,replaced float needle you name it,I checked it.When cold outside 50F or below it will start first try and you can ride all day without issue,switch it off hot and it will start up fine every time but in cold weather if I start it with letting it warm for only a minute,switch it off and try to restart it,it acts like the starter hits a brick wall,it may take several tries and then it starts,acts like the motor locks up,even with the pull start.It never ever does this in warm weather.I had the atv for a while before I found it,I started it up one morning backed it out the building,shut it off for a few seconds to lock the door get back on it,hit the starter and it would not turn over,after several attempts it would start but if not allowed to warm for at least 2-3 minutes it would do it over and over... now I let it warm up fully and don't worry about it.The reason I lead myself back to the decompression is the fact when it was started up cold and shut off there was a 90% chance it would no it,so I did several test by pulling the plug immediately after a cold start and it would spin fine.This is not a symptom my atv has in warm weather,you can fire it up in the morning without letting it warm up and restart it a hundred times and it will never do it.Crazy

Old 03-06-2013, 05:21 PM
Trailblazer

mine is the same, I've worked on alot of them and cant figure this one out, only thing I am thinking is maybe the cover where the bindex extends into is not right of to tight it acts like the starter is bound up, just not sure why it does it ever 4th of 5th try, only other thing is usually on a 500 I can hear the bindex recoil after a start (if you know what I mean) on this one it just seems tight and direct if that makes any sense.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:20 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Try starting with you left hand and as the engine cranks, "blip" the throttle a little and see if the bendix kicks back away from the flywheel. This problem is only on the 500 as the 700,800, etc have more torque and inertia to kick the bendix back quicker.

Quick Reply: Cam Compression release spring preload SP500