Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris recalls the XP

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 05:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris recalls the XP

It looks like they just did a recall on the XP a couple of hours ago as reported by the Associated Press . 4:11 p.m. EST, December 22, 2009.

MEDINA, Minn. (AP) — Polaris Industries issued a voluntary recall Tuesday of roughly 8,500 all-terrain vehicles over problems with the steering.

Polaris said the recall applies to 2009-2010 models of its Sportsman ATVs. The vehicles were sold between February and November at Polaris dealers in the United States.

The company received reports of 19 incidents, but no injuries, involving the ATVs. Polaris said the front suspension ball joint stem could separate from the steering knuckle, causing the rider to lose control. It advised owners to stop using the vehicles immediately.

Those with vehicles affected under the recall are eligible for a free repair.

Polaris made the recall in cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider

About damn time!! Too bad they haven't expanded the build dates yet..I know there has been at least a couple here on the boards with issues made well before January.

Here is the CPSC release and link..
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml10/10713.html
Office of Information and Public Affairs Washington, DC 20207

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
December 22, 2009
Alert #10-713

Polaris Industries Recalls Certain ATVs Due to Crash Hazard
The following product safety recall was voluntarily conducted by the firm in cooperation with the CPSC. Consumers should stop using the product immediately unless otherwise instructed.

Name of Product: 2009-2010 Polaris All-Terrain Vehicles (ATVs)

Units: About 8,500

Manufacturer: Polaris Industries Inc., of Medina, Minn.

Hazard: The front suspension ball joint stem can separate from the steering knuckle and cause the rider to lose steering control, posing a risk of injury or death to riders.

Incidents/Injuries: Polaris has received 19 reports of incidents involving the recalled ATVs. No injuries have been reported.

Description: This recall involves model year 2009 and 2010 Polaris Sportsman ATVs (models listed below) with certain VIN numbers. The ATVs were manufactured between January and August 2009. The VIN number and manufacture date are located on the right front of the ATV on the frame rail next to the front shock.

Model Year Model Name
2009 Sportsman XP 550
2009 Sportsman XP 550 EPS
2010 Sportsman 550
2010 Sportsman X2 550
2010 Sportsman Touring 550
2009/2010 Sportsman XP 850
2009/2010 Sportsman XP850 EPS
2010 Sportsman Touring 850

Sold at: Polaris dealers nationwide from February 2009 through November 2009 for between $7,500 and $10,800.

Manufactured in: United States

Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled ATVs and contact their local Polaris dealer to determine if your model and VIN number are included in this recall and to schedule a free repair. Polaris is directly contacting registered owners about the recall.

Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact Polaris toll-free at (888) 704-5290 between 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. CT Monday through Friday, or visit the company’s Web site at www.polarisindustries.com

Old 12-22-2009, 06:14 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

Haha.......this is funny.

Can we maybe keep the Polaris bashing out of this thread?

I don't care to read all the same posts over again about how people feel Polaris failed them or the public, even though they don't own the machine.

I agree though, good timing. LOL

Old 12-22-2009, 06:29 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Roofer
Haha.......this is funny.

Can we maybe keep the Polaris bashing out of this thread?

I don't care to read all the same posts over again about how people feel Polaris failed them or the public, even though they don't own the machine.

I agree though, good timing. LOL
You're right. I edited it to remove the part about Polaris getting no kudos, is that better? Besides this thread is reading the same thing...it has be posted and reposted about the issues...read over and over...
I DID own one,that carries more weight than nothing doesn't it? And my reasons for switching machines were not anti Polaris,I was happy with mine,they just didn't make a 2up machine that suited my needs so I switched and I am happy with the new machine just like I was with the Polaris. But that isn't to say I would never own a Polaris again because I bought a different machine. But there handling of this issue will make me think alot harder about buying another one...so that is why I get kind of worked up over it..
Anway,I still think maybe they have the scope to narrow. I think the early builds were more solid,but there are some in there that are effected. I know of one for sure...and I think Jomax's machine was a pre-Jan build too if I am not mistaken?
That isn't bashing is it? I think the build dates covered is on topic...

Old 12-22-2009, 06:30 PM
DCT
Banned

Wow... what a shock! LOL

Sorry Roofer... I just have to say one thing... you have to admit, I hit it on the head with the "CTA, and do so as quickly as possible" statement.

There, I won't say anymore. LOL

Old 12-22-2009, 06:31 PM
Pro Rider

Mine has a build date of 11-19-08 and the top left is loose. the rest are tight. I haven't seen anything about specific build dates, so I figure mine will be covered.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:33 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by lovmudd
Mine has a build date of 11-19-08 and the top left is loose. the rest are tight. I haven't seen anything about specific build dates, so I figure mine will be covered.
The recall says the "ATVs were manufactured between January and August 2009"....
You having issues is further proof they have the scope too narrow...

Old 12-22-2009, 06:41 PM
Pro Rider

BTW Roofer the telling it like it is over and over on these forums,you call it bashing,well it likely has an effect on how companies handle these issues. If we all kept saying all hale XYZ ATV company and no one complained why would they fix anything. And while these forums aren't the sole source of info for them,I'm sure they either learned of the issue during their testing or from dealers, but the forums are likely the way they get the most honest and up to date customer feedback. Wouldn't they be dumb not to at least read the postings on these forums wouldn't they?

Old 12-22-2009, 07:06 PM
Trailblazer

I just called my dealer and gave them my VIN and build date for my 2010 550X2.
Luckily they said that per Polaris (computer look-up at dealer) my ATV does not need any recall fix. My build date is 6-12-2009.
Man....I'm glad. That would be a real pain in the **** to go back to the dealer and wait for who-knows-how-long to get it back.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by DCT
Wow... what a shock! LOL

Sorry Roofer... I just have to say one thing... you have to admit, I hit it on the head with the "CTA, and do so as quickly as possible" statement.
Why would they not CTA and ours? I don't understand what you're saying here. Is fixing a problem something that they should bashed over? There is a major ball joint problem, as discussed, and they're addressing it. That's a good thing....right?

Quick Reply: Polaris recalls the XP