Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Help please!!!! Starter problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 06:13 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

w/ the key off and you hook the starter cable up or have it hooked up and hooked the battery to it, do you get any kind of arc or sparks? pretty much if the starter is bolted up and you hook hot wire to the starter and is already hooked back thru the solenoid to the battery correctly, what does it do actually?

Old 01-02-2010, 07:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stendori
w/ the key off and you hook the starter cable up or have it hooked up and hooked the battery to it, do you get any kind of arc or sparks? pretty much if the starter is bolted up and you hook hot wire to the starter and is already hooked back thru the solenoid to the battery correctly, what does it do actually?
I have the ground running through the starter bolts to the case. With the hot wire hooked up, nothing.... .3volts to the starter. Unhook the hot wire from the starter and I have 13volts.

When the starter is hooked up, the solenoid clicks several times continuously. Without the starter hooked up, it is one click. I think the repeated clicking is a sign of low voltage.

Still at a loss on this one??

Old 01-02-2010, 11:39 PM
Range Rover

Only other thing i can think of is you have a short in your brand new starter.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:20 AM
Pro Rider

Get a piece of fairly heavy wire , hook it to the negative battery cable, then touch the starter and push the start button, this will tell you if you have lost the ground, if it still acts the same it must be the starter or battery, you say the starter spins when hooked to 12 volts, did you spin it off of machine's battery or use another battery?

Old 01-03-2010, 11:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Kerbbirds
Get a piece of fairly heavy wire , hook it to the negative battery cable, then touch the starter and push the start button, this will tell you if you have lost the ground, if it still acts the same it must be the starter or battery, you say the starter spins when hooked to 12 volts, did you spin it off of machine's battery or use another battery?
I will try the extra ground wire in a few minutes. When I tested the starter, I hooked it to my truck battery. I have installed a new battery and keep it on maintenance charge.

Will post my findings from using the other wire to jump ground straight to the starter.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just used my jumper cables(only one side) and hooked to the negative battery post and ran straight to the starter and it acts just the same.

I don't think this is related, but there is a (what looks to be some type of voltage regulator) behind the battery under the rear fender. Two black wires and one red and one green.

I think all this is pointing to the starter, but need someone to back that up.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

sounds to me your shorting through your battery. Try taking your battery to auto zone and have place it under a load. And see what it drops to.You might have an internal short.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

I will take the battery and have it tested just to be sure.
Thanks

Old 01-03-2010, 03:20 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

everything that we have told you and that you mentioned seems to either be a bad starter or a shorted power source if your only showing that many volts when hooked up.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by stendori
everything that we have told you and that you mentioned seems to either be a bad starter or a shorted power source if your only showing that many volts when hooked up.

I am going to get my battery tested to make sure it is good. I have also sent an inquiry to the company I bought the starter from to start the return process. It has a 1 year warranty.

I really appreciate all the help thus far and will update later.

If you have any other suggestions, let them fly!!!

Quick Reply: Help please!!!! Starter problem