Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Bear Claw vs. Mud Runner?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2001, 08:34 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK ya'll little help. I have decided on 26" tires for my SP500 (orginal wheels), however I have yet to decide on which tire. The majority of my riding is trail but on the same token I can't pass up a hole with a honda or yameehaa already stuck in it. Being in south GA right now the ocasional ride trough a swamp would not suprise my better half either.
Has anybody used or had both types of tire?
Do we know the actual size of the tires and lug height?

Thanks for the info,
Kuntry

Old 02-25-2001, 09:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have 26" bearclaws on my 2000 xpedetion. 26x9.00x12 front and 26x12x12 rear. These are in my opinion the bearclaws are the best a/t tire out there! Semi smooth on hardpack and great in the mud!!!! there are some drawbacks to them. the front tires rub the fenders so I might have to go with a lift kit or progressive preload kit to fix that. Also the steering is a little on the "heavy" side in 4 wheel drive but goes away in 2wd. I think that you would like the way they work. Good luck.

2000 expedetion
26"bearclaws
itp wheels
t1500 superwinch
60" moose plow

Old 02-25-2001, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

I had the 26" Mudrunners on my Xplorer. They were unbeatable in the mud and crawling was great too. They did rob me of some power and handling plus rubbed on the inside of the fenders. Rubber spacers and a little shaving of the interior of the fenders and it was O.K. High speed ride was still "jolty" with them though.

I switched to 25" Bearclaws to get back some power and handling which I had lost with the Mudrunners. I gave up 1/2 ground clearance and a bit of width though. Also gave up that scense of "I can go anywhere" that I had with the Mudrunners. (Still can go anywhere though)

If you are going with the 26" in either it will be better than stock for steering and mudding. Mudrunners have better steering but grab at everything on the trail. Bearclaws are a bit less aggressive and bite a tad less. Smoother ride though...a bit.

Both good tires...depends on type of riding.

Traction: Mudrunners
Smoothness: Bearclaws
Turning: Mudrunners
Weight: Bearclaws (I think)
Bad-a$$ look: Mudrunners

Old 03-01-2001, 11:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a Honda Rubicon so my credability might not be up to snuff lol. But I do have 26 inch Mudrunners on my machine and I think they are great. For as aggressive looking as they are they are surprisingly smooth riding. And they love the mud too. No experience with the bear claws, but my choice would be Mudrunners or Titan 589s.

Old 03-02-2001, 11:00 AM
Pro Rider

I've seen both of these tires in action and experienced the Mudrunner 26" I would have to agree with Xplor that the Mudrunners are great for the mud conditions but give up too much to the Bearclaws for acceleration and the other 90% of trail riding. Those rear 26" Mudrunners are HEAVY.

One tire which should be included as a good all around trail tire is the 25" Mud Machine Tri Claw
I have used these in the past and they are quite durable and light compared to the current competition.

Since the Mudrunner 25 x 8 x 12 is not a heavy tire. It could be used on the front and the TriClaws on the back. This would optimize top speed and acceleration and provide a smoother ride up front than the BiClaw while not giving up any traction in muddy conditions.

Old 03-02-2001, 01:19 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

I have the Bearclaws and like the tires. Chaparral Racing has the best price and they deliver in 4 days.

Old 03-02-2001, 01:27 PM
Pro Rider

Thor i just bought a set of 25x12.5x12 tri claws and a set of 25x9.50x12 for my sp i havent even mounted them yet. The front tire weighs in at 15 Lbs and the rears are 20lbs While the goodyear mudrunners i sold weight in at around 40 for the rear And 30 for the front. i think they will be a good tire for a all around tire.

Old 03-02-2001, 01:37 PM
Pro Rider

you will love the runners, also 589's would also be a great tire.

Old 03-02-2001, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider

the mudrunners are a good tire or u can look at the new 589MT's.

why are the Mudrunners so much more heavier compaired to the other tires??
are they just really thick rubber??

later
jon

Old 03-02-2001, 02:59 PM
Pro Rider

The Mudrunners are just thick all over, especially the 26" vs the 25" and heavy. So far I know that Dazed, Xplor, Greg Sims and Odin have all taken them off of their quads because of what the 26" runners did to the ride, handling and acceleration. BUT THEY WILL GO THROUGH MUD.

It appears that Dazed is looking for the same combination that I am. Good trail manners, respectable mudding and no loss of power. I wouldn't mind the Tri-claws on the back of my machine. Because it is a shaft drive, I need to keep the unsprung weight down for better handling.

Quick Reply: Bear Claw vs. Mud Runner?