Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

rack extenders

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rack extenders

I've noticed a lot of people have rack extenders on their rigs....What's the overall feeling of worth here....front, rear, both?

Old 01-13-2010, 01:42 AM
Pro Rider

I used to have front and rear, keeps stuff from sliding off the rack for the most part. Easy to bungy stuff against the extender, it stays put. I used to run mud, place to brace the feet when it got nasty, yes...the front as well. They came in handy every day. I wouldn't run a atv with at a minimum, rack extenders.

I prefer a front basket and rear drop basket now, my priorities have changed...no more mudding and I keep all 4 down. I like the ability to just throw something in the basket and not worry about it sliding off. I rarely need a bungy. As I type this I have a vexilar, rod caddy and minnow bucket in my front basket, the rear basket a 10lb. propane, heater box and a 5 gal pail. Non of it has been bungied since ice up and it hasn't gone anywhere. It just fits my style of riding.

There are so many different options from rack extenders to dry boxes to baskets. Decide how you use your machine and what would work best. You might find you'd rather have a dry box up front and a extender rear or....

Old 01-13-2010, 06:20 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally would not go without both! Ditto to a lot of Wenty's reply.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:57 AM
Trailblazer

I just recently put one on the front of my ATP. Don't know how I got by without it. Much better then the flat top that's on my machine. Easy to strap stuff down and it added a place to mount some extra lights if I want to..

Old 01-13-2010, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I have front extenders on both the ATP and X2. Great to keep stuff in place. Makes it easy to put a Polaris rack bag on the front for extra clothing, etc.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:29 AM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

If you use your racks, they are definitely worth it!

Old 01-13-2010, 01:46 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Yea like Wenty hit the nail on the head depends on your TYPE of riding, a GREAT POINT that I think many many of us ATV riders don't take to heart when it comes to adding products on their quad. Case in point, I no longer like bar accessories (GPS mount and mirror) eventhough they add more functionality to my riding.

Anyways, YES I have and very much like and NEED both my rack extenders. If you are a hunter or just do long rides it won't be long until you decide for yourself that you need more stuff to take or NEED utility to haul things and need all those anchor points etc.

I DON'T have the basket racks ONLY b/c I need to throw a deer on my racks or fasten my tree stands and ladders, etc. so I need a more flat surface area and the ability to wrap and tie all positions my loads. Those basket racks are nice though, I have been wanting that rear drop basket with tailgate product, maybe one day, lol.

I highly recommend the Polaris rack extenders. I have had both the Bodyguard and the standard rack extenders. The BG's have a nicer look but I feel is NOT a durable product. They are have plastic mounts this will crack and it receeds in further not allowing for Rear Cargo box to fit well in the back or other things to fit well in the front. I then went out and replace them with the solid steel standard ones that allow a ROTOPAX gas tanks store flat on the front cargo box without impeeding movement of the light POD and for the rear will allow my rear cargo box to fit well in with its L&R.

I like both and they are pretty cheap considering. Another point and I can say this from one accident I had and my cousins is that it will also help if your bike ends up on the bottom up to protect the racks and cargo box. (Not a feature you would want to test, lol. but it helps nonetheless!)

Regards,

R'

Old 01-13-2010, 05:20 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Roofer
If you use your racks, they are definitely worth it!
I use front and rear Polaris lock & ride boxes, which allow for rack extenders, but not sure how useful they will be with either installed. There are some times when I take the rear box off. Will the front extenders be of any value with the box installed?

Old 01-13-2010, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Yea sure, for example I bungie things to the top of my rear cargo going over the box with bungie cord, jackets, flannels, siting pads, things I just want to slip out, especially nice for some rain gear folded up and bungied on top of my box fasten to the extenders. Do my riding and get some drops of rain, then I don my jacket on. Used in the same way for my tree cutters as I am cutting my way thru trail.

R'

Old 01-14-2010, 09:29 AM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

Originally Posted by FunRide
I use front and rear Polaris lock & ride boxes, which allow for rack extenders, but not sure how useful they will be with either installed. There are some times when I take the rear box off. Will the front extenders be of any value with the box installed?
IMO, when you are using a storage box, then you shouldn't need the racks.....but everyone's situation is different.

I use the rack and extension on the front for hunting. When trail riding, I put on the front storage box in place of the rack. It has the stuff I carry for trails. Haven't used the rear storage box much. I don't carry a whole lot with me any more, but maybe I should start again......

Quick Reply: rack extenders