Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Photos of new GPS Mount and garage

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FunRide
Funny....That's just what we did with our 3rd bay....put a mudroom in which took up about 2/3 of the bay which leaves the other 1/3 for my XP. My garage is only 26' deep.....deeper than normal though.

I'd be concerned about the pounding and slop that'll be all over the screen...imagine that thing covered and continually soaked in mud water for a couple hours. What's the screen going to look like after a couple seasons. Did you get it from Bestbuy or the like and get the extra warranty? Maybe keep it on a plastic ziplock when around slop, and mount it for smooth, dry and fast trail rides.
I have thought about putting a zip lock bag over it as a precaution...sure would make clean up easier at the end of the day if things got muddy and wet quick! I will have to throw a few in the cargo box just in case.

Originally Posted by Hitman1
I just put a ram mount for a GPS on my 550 today as well but I went with the handle bar mount coming right up beside the headlight pod. If I find it is getting to muddy I will look in to one of the ram watertight boxes. He is right its rock solid. Glad I drove 1 hr to pick up the ram mount instead of a universal GPS holder. Ok ok 1hr was a bit out of the way but I also got to go to Basspro without the wife nagging can we go yet. LOL
I ended up buying mine from RAM directly. They were very helpful on the phone and I am glad I went with the "short" arm because it is just perfect. I simply drilled two small holes for screws...picked up nylon locking nuts and two huge fender washers to spread out the surface area on the plastic pod...seems to be holding well so far with my giving it a really good "push around" with my hand. We'll see how it does this summer when I am up north on some real trails!

For anyone that stumbles upon this thread...my specific model numbers for my install are: RAM-HOL-GA31U
RAM-B-102U-A

Old 01-31-2010, 08:21 PM
Pro Rider

mikka - I love the spot you mounted your grinders...perfect! Also, yours looks mighty clean as well.

skychief...I like the shelving!

I decided to add some before and after photos...could be a fun thread if people posted their work areas too. Maybe we should have made a new thread just for that....

BEFORE: (just a day or two after getting the house and throwing some things in the garage as I make trips out to the place.)

AFTER: (some things have changed since these photos were taken but you get the idea of the main changes....)

And one of the new garage door on. It is 18' wide. The previous one was a very sad, old, faded honkin' red door that was made from fiberboard. The remotes for the opener were the size of the first cell phones. We did a lot of landscaping and flower work last summer...just making the curb appeal much better!

Old 02-01-2010, 04:38 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

looks like someone had some money they spent lol.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:19 AM
Pro Rider

meh....all the work was done by me with the occasional help from my father in law. You have to understand I rarely pay full price for anything! Insulation...on sale...OSB....on sale...shelving....free....paint, had it from the house.....The only thing I paid to have someone do was the garage door...removal of old, install new, etc. for around $1350....can't beat that! Your wallet goes a long way when you do the work!

Old 02-01-2010, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Great looking mount! You ought to do that professionally.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:51 PM
Trailblazer

whats miss febuarys name on the wall or is that january?

Old 02-01-2010, 04:10 PM
Pro Rider
Default Blower

Originally Posted by Chadly1980
Your wallet goes a long way when you do the work!
Speaking of doing your own work.....What model Honda blower is that? I'm looking at a similar beast, but haven't made a decision yet. I like the idea of tracks to climb stairs and cut up inclines. Also like the idea of something that will start. Old Toro (not that old) is dead in the garage right now. About to pitch it off the tailgate at 70mph onto the Interstate at 4am.....just to watch it explode into 1000 pieces. Not likin' the Toro products these days.....cheap POS.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by rigor mortis
whats miss febuarys name on the wall or is that january?
Ha ha...it's January....reminds me to flip it to February!

Originally Posted by FunRide
Speaking of doing your own work.....What model Honda blower is that? I'm looking at a similar beast, but haven't made a decision yet. I like the idea of tracks to climb stairs and cut up inclines. Also like the idea of something that will start. Old Toro (not that old) is dead in the garage right now. About to pitch it off the tailgate at 70mph onto the Interstate at 4am.....just to watch it explode into 1000 pieces. Not likin' the Toro products these days.....cheap POS.
It's a Honda 1132TAS. I absolutely love it! This thing goes through ANY amount of snow and can throw it over 50'. At my previous house that had sidewalks I could throw it over the street to my neighbors sidewalk and fill up what he just cleared if I wanted to be a jag!
It has electric start and I only used it once to verify it works. One pull each and every time. I bought this on craigslist list for less than half of what new is. Ironically, it was a guy who had a plow for an ATV that didn't use it ever. I did some carb cleaning and it has been "singing" ever since! I like how quite the Honda motor is as well. B&S seems to be so loud. The most significant difference is that Honda's have a hydrostatic tranny...so I can go at ANY speed for ANY condition and it is just right...fast all the way up to the end of the drive way and feather it back a bit so it can chew that up too. if I didn't own this bad boy, I would have gotten a plow for the XP for sure!

Here's a few pics:

Old 02-02-2010, 07:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

If I get this to work here is a few pics of my Ram GPS mount.

Attached Thumbnails Photos of new GPS Mount and garage-img00105.jpg   Photos of new GPS Mount and garage-img00107.jpg   Photos of new GPS Mount and garage-img00109.jpg  
Old 02-02-2010, 09:33 PM
Pro Rider

Nice Hitman! That was the alternative to what I have now. I wasn't sure there was room on my bar for that setup but obviously you got it to work! My one thought about putting it over on the side was the further out from "center" on the turning point (or axis if you will) the more that thing will have to flip side to side in turns and such. My rational for trying it in the center would be having minimal movement for better viewing while riding as well as if I wouldn't want my head to get whacked by branches then my GPS had a better chance of missing those branches too. But don't let my explanation knock yours....it still beats having to stop to look at your GPS while on the trail!

Quick Reply: Photos of new GPS Mount and garage