Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2007 Sportsman 800 EFI No Power (Electric)

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 06:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Sportsman 800 EFI No Power (Electric)

I have a 2007 Sportsman 800 EFI and it is dead. Has no power. I was plowing my driveway, had the headlights on (all three with Mod), Fan was on with mod switch as well. Neighbor helped with mods and neither of us are all thet bright so it is probably wrong.

All done with plowing so I backed it into the garage and turned off the fan switch and boom all dead. This happened once before and it was a 20 Fuse. I checked all the fuses and all seem to be fine. I changed them out just in case and still nothing.

I have read about 50 threads and am getting overwhelmed with ideas but none I tried did the trick. I am down two thinking it may be a relay?

There are two relays but I can not tell if they are dead. When I pulled one of them it seamed like there was a residue under them,

Has anyone had a similar issue and can you tell me what it was? If it is a relay where is the best place to get them. Someone on another thread said you can get them directly from the manufacturer?

Any other suggestions?

I tried to give as much info as possible. Sorry if it was a bit long?

Old 02-17-2010, 06:14 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i'll stary w/ the basic questions of a charged battery? the move on to did check to see if power was going thru the solenoid? aslo it sounds like to me you are over drawing power on the 500 watt max out put of the charging system on that bike. why do you have your fan wired direct w/ a switch instead of the engine sensor? it might be that it's wired up wrong but seems it would have burned out in a short period of time. did you check the circuit breaks if theres no power going thru? just a few questions to start off.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Battery 100% and have power at solenoid. I have the fan switch because it was a suggested mod.

I need to check the circuit breaks. Probably do that this weekend.

I love this forumn. Second issue I have had and it is so used you get good feedback quick

Thanks for the response.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:39 PM
Trailblazer
Default fan

I would let your cooling fan cycle with the thermister your motor needs to run in a certain temp range so your ecm can be able to give your injectors the right pulse width to give you proper amout of fuel.Plus is really a unessecery current drawl on your battery and charging system.did you make sure your left handle bar kill switch is on?I would check relays and switch wiring connections.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:49 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

i agree w/ the above and personaly would put the fan mod back to the way it is suppose to be esp. in the winter time. as long as your radiator stays clean your bike is not going to over heat.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

Update. So after ripping the front end off to be able to get at stuff and going out and getting a new multimeter I found I have plenty of power from the battry thru to the fuse panel. I checked the two relays and they also seem fine.

So I was at a loss hopped back up on the ATV and turned the key on and still nothing. I moved the switch on the left bar from off to on to off just hoping for something and the thrird or foruth time I had a moment of power in the pod.

With the switch in the on position I pushed it down on the left side and the bike had power. I turn the key and it starts. I can use the winch, lights, fan everything. Let go of the preasure on the swith and it imediatly goes dead.

Anyone know if doing anything on that switch overides anything? Is there a relay or anything in the handlebar switch?

I may post a new entry asking about switch failures but I figured I would ask you guys first.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

I think it is all fixed

So as I said I have ripped apart the entire thing and found nothing then noted that if I held the red switch in when in the on position I had power.

I called my local Polaris Dealership, MOM's South in Foxboro MA, and talked to the service department. After a 3 min conversation the tech said it sounded like a short in the switch.

So here was some fun. I took the grip off then the switch off and took it apart, lots of tiny pieces be carfu if you aver try this they fly everywhere. Behind the red swith are two little copper pieces with springs under them. One of them was stuck in. I cleared out some gunk that was in there and put everything back together (Maybe an hour and a half to do this with my big clumbsy hands)

All is running well for the last 30 min. I have shut it down and started a dozen times or so.

Had to give props to my local dealer because the service guy helped me over the phone with no urging to bring it in. They have helped me a couple times on the phone. Nice people.

Old 02-20-2010, 03:09 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

i figured it had to be a connection issue. glad you got it straighten out.