Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Which pipe and clutch kit? 400 scrambler

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2001, 04:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a 2000 400 scrambler 2X4 and love it. The only complaint i have is that it coughs and misses at any throttle position less than 3/4. Is there a jetting change i can make to get rid of that?
Also im about ready to install a Pipe and Clutch kit in it. I mostly ride trails but TOP SPEED is a must. Which kit would be the best performer?

Old 02-27-2001, 04:59 PM
Pro Rider

I have the HPD Trail Pipe and there 90$ aggressive clutch kit. These two alone gave my Scrambler the power I was looking for at the time. I researched all makes and models and the ones that were the most recommended were HPD and RCR.

Old 02-27-2001, 10:00 PM
Range Rover

Xplor, I also have the HPD mid range pipe on my 99 Scrambler 400, but I just got the Brown primary spring ("plain" spring) from HPD. How do you feel about the HPD "aggressive" clutch kit, and what changes did you see?
Thanks,
Lorrin Lee

Old 02-27-2001, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider

I have the HPD trail pipe in nickel and the aggresive clutch kit at $140 that comes with the helix also. I use a DG oval lite silencer because the fit and finish is much better and the noise isnt to terrible, I reccomend going with the complete clutch kit because everthing is matched with the pipe and a stock motor, Frankly it has a heck of alot more power all around and definetly worth the money in my book, The only other mods I have right now is a K&N filter and V-force reed valve. I bought everything at once and that is why the ride is so much different I suppose, Just get used to trying to keep the front end down!!!

Old 02-27-2001, 10:10 PM
Pro Rider

Leel...I honestly could not say. All I do know is that a clutch kit is essential. I found this out because my dealer installed the springs and weights that HPD sent me but forgot to take out the EPI helix that I had in there before. Once I figured it out and stuck the stock helix back in, it really ripped! The springs and weights that they sent me were for a more agressive ride. I think it must have engaged higher or something...

Old 02-27-2001, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider

Todd, you are right about the helix. It must wake it up even more. The only reason I did not get it is because I went for the Aaen Roller Clutch... which HPD offers one now too. The throttle response is instantanious now.

Old 02-27-2001, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

I would recomend the HPD pipe/clutch kit. I installed the spark arrestor silencer with the pipe. It has a nice low rumble to it. It's a lot quieter than when I had the RcR setup on it. If you want to go further, and I suggest you do, put the Delta-V-Force reeds in it.

Whichever combo you go with, I would install the RcR air box mod to go with it.

Trending Topics

Old 02-27-2001, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider

Like Quadfather said... definately get an air box mod. I tested the difference before and after and it was amazing. That new pipe just needed to breath...

Old 02-27-2001, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah the helix angles are cut to coincide with the power band the pipe runs in and makes the back shift alot better, I havent tried the roller yet its probably not in my budget until next winter I would deffinetly reccomend getting the helix with the kit though because you have to take the old one out to change the spring anyway and its not much fun to do by yourself!!

Old 02-28-2001, 01:05 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info and HPD plug, that is also what my dealer recomended. When you installed the parts after the pipe and clutch kit, how much more power did you get? Should i wait and install a Whole Package with porting and more compression?
By the way, thats one badass ride you have. Were the nerf bars a big deal to install or was it mostly a bolt on?

Quick Reply: Which pipe and clutch kit? 400 scrambler