Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Stator questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 01:11 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stator questions

I haven't been around in a while, but I finally got motivated to get working on my Polaris again. I finally got the flywheel removed after about 6 months with the help of a really big slide hammer. Once I got in there, the Stator and the inside of the flywheel were covered in mud and other crud. I cleaned it up really good and put it all back together.

It is better that it was before, but it is still not working like it should. I checked the voltage at both idle and around 3k-4k rpm's. Before, the voltage was only around 10.something. Now, the voltage stays at 11.78 no matter what the rpms or the load on the electric system (high beam headlight). According to the manual, it should be at 13-14 volts.

I tested the stator by checking the ohms between the yellow and the yellow/red wire coming out of the stator. According to the manual, it should be exactly 0.13. Mine says resistance is infinity.

Based on these two observations and only these two observations, I think the stator is bad. I did not do any other testing so please assume nothing. Can someone please confirm this for me.

Last question, sorry about so many, the manual I have says I should have 8 wires coming out. Mine only has seven. I am missing a green wire that is supposed to go into the cdi. The cdi does not have the green wire either. Is this important when ordering the new stator?

The quad is a 2000 Polaris Sportsman 500.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:59 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need a new stator. Ads far as getting the right one, have a dealership run your vin number and get the exact model number and order it that way you shouldn't have to worry about getting the wrong one.

If you pm me your vin, I can run it for you and give you the info you need.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:23 PM
Pro Rider

PM Sent. Thanks for the reply.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:55 PM
Pro Rider

I am trying to figure out which stator I need. On the dealer web sites, it says there is a difference between serial numbers before and after S#00-29083. Is this the vin number, or is it something else?

When I look at sites like Ricky Stator and RM Stator, they only offer one model for that year. How do I know which one I need? Should I go with oem, or is it ok to go with an aftermarket one even though they do not offer the 2 different models.

The vin number on my Sportsman 500 is 4XACH50A2YA107087. The last three numbers could also be a 887 or 807. They are unreadable.

Does this mean that I am in the lower half since the last 5 of my vin is 07087, or is it referring to the serial number on the engine or something else?

Thanks.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry to keep double posting, but I have another question and it won't let me edit my last post. When I am removing the Stator coils, do I need to remove the stator plate, or can I remove the stator coils without doing that?

Name:  stator.jpg
Views: 3252
Size:  41.1 KB

I am basically just trying to take #2 off. Can I do this without removing #5 from the engine?

Thanks.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider

Yes you can.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:37 AM
Pro Rider

Thank you. I was looking at a high def picture I took of it and it almost looks like the whole stator coil assembly unscrews from the stator plate. Is this correct, or does it just slide off. I have not really tried either way yet. I did not notice the threads until after I had already cleaned up for the night.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:55 AM
Pro Rider

Just take the screws out and pull it off the plate.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:18 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

When I look at sites like Ricky Stator and RM Stator, they only offer one model for that year.
Place like that will rebuild your old stator that way you know you will have the correct one but its slower to get it back.

If you silcon your pull cord handle in place there is absolutely no way grud will get in the recoil and screw up stators,pulse coils,Bendix drives,recoil springs and rust flywheels. I leaned that a long time ago.
Hard cord mud boggers even remove the pull rope recoil system and plug the rope hole permanently with liquid metal.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:39 AM
Pro Rider

I will try to pull it off tonight. I took the screws out last night and gently pulled on it, but it would not come loose. There is a little bit of play in it, but not much. I just wanted to make sure before I started trying to take it off the wrong way.

I have thought about plugging the hole. My pull starter was not working anyway, but the last time I took it all apart and put it back together, it started working again. I think I will just rtv the pull handle closed and carry a knife for emergencies. I have had to use the pull starter on occasion and feel better with it. Most of the places I ride have no way of servicing the battery and do not allow it to be pulled out by another 4 wheeler.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Stator questions