Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

02 scrambler 400 questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 05:42 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 scrambler 400 questions

hi guys im new to polaris machines and going to look at a scrambler saturday, the guy is a china quad dealer took this in trade. are ther any issues, things i should look for when i test ride it?? it looks mint, alum wheels, new tires, he said hed take 1400 cash ,it will be for my kids they've never ridden a quad u had to shift so the auto thing got my attention, does this sound like a good price?? should i trust the oil injection, or mix? ive heard horror stories of those failing on other quads thanks for any tips

Old 03-04-2010, 10:44 PM
Range Rover

Good price if everything checks out. The compression value would be nice to know. Check the counter balance oil dip stick for signs of coolant. The dip stick is a PITA to get to, its under the air box to the right of the carb. Other than that look over everything else you would look for on most any bike.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:03 PM
Range Rover

Overlooked your question on the oil injection. I am using the oil pump on my 400L, after going through it, ie; cleaning and checking oil usage. I have heard various opinions on this site about, to mix or not to mix. Some say that it is a very reliable oiling system, this is from members that have my respect. Thus I decided to go with it after running 40:1 pre mix for my top end rebuild.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:36 PM
Trailblazer

thanks for the tips, iwill check the counterbalance dipstick, gonna try and check it out tomorrow, i posted an ad on craigslist lookin for an atv in this price range, so far its between this and a 02 warrior that looks as if its never been ridden, the scrambler is almost as clean and i like the 4wdr option, this will mainly be for my 16yr old, i have a brute, but i will play with it,can the scramblers be modded to keep up with the 400 ex?? thats what most of guys near me ride, this one does have a pipe and jetting im told

Old 03-05-2010, 12:18 AM
Range Rover

If that Scrambler is running good, those guys are going to have trouble keeping up with you. My sport is wicked fast, but its a 2x4. A 2 stroke will normally out run any larger bore 4 stroke bike with ease. I have never riden a Scrambler 4x4, but my Sport 400 will scare you.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:00 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think about getting a 400 for a beginner.They are rather fast and quick and can be a handful.That said just check the counter balance oil,front hubs for leaks and the basic wear things like tie rod ends,chains and swing arm bearings.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:04 AM
Range Rover
Scared to death of girls!

If this atv you're looking at is the same as in my pic, I'd be cautious too.

This was my first machine, though that is my son sitting on that one, not me. I knew absolutely nothing about atv's when I bought it. I really bought it cause I wanted a Polaris, had a good dealer to work with, and it looks really cool. I wasn't even aware of it being a two stroker verses a four stroke...I wouldn't have known the difference any ways.

I had it a few months, and traded it for a 500 Scrambler four stroke. I agree it can be faster than a four stroke, but IMO, if you don't know anything about keeping 2 strokers running right, you might wanna pass on this one. I didn't, and it almost cost me big. Riding up a really nasty hill down at Windrock in Tennessee, it sputtered on me in a real bad spot, and I was very fortunate to be able to get off it. I ended up turning it around without any further issues, but it scared the crap outta me. You kinda have to run it at a higher rpm, and that is no good at all for rock climbing when a blip on the throttle is all you need, and you need it controlled and now. Maybe it was my own ignorance, I dunno, but the four stroke I ended up with was exactly what I needed.

My son was young at the time and a good rider, but he also had problems with this machine. So, I got him a 4 stroke too, and it was perfect for him. i guess if you wanna go ballz out and race and stuff, this would be a good choice...but it wasn't for us. I wished someone would have told me that a rookie like me shoulda bought a 4 stroke...

As for the other issues, I didn't really keep it long enough to find any of that out.

Good luck.

Attached Thumbnails 02 scrambler 400 questions-scan0021.jpg  
Old 03-05-2010, 09:30 AM
Dune Rider
Which one of you is Pink?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

400x
I totally disagree

the Scrambler 400 4x4 two stroke has the rip when you need it.
(have the 00 I ride on the rocky mountain trails--2 of them)
check out the 4x4 function of the quad. It's really dangerous when only
3 wheels are working in all wheel drive! (switch for selectable 2x to 4x @ right thumb)

It's the best mix (IMHO) of a sport and utility type quad. You can enjoy it
in almost any riding environment and will out perform a UTE in many cases.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:38 AM
Dune Rider
Which one of you is Pink?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any sputtering quad is spooky.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:01 PM
Range Rover
Scared to death of girls!

Did you not even read what I posted?
--------------------------------------

I had it a few months, and traded it for a 500 Scrambler four stroke. I agree it can be faster than a four stroke, but IMO, if you don't know anything about keeping 2 strokers running right, you might wanna pass on this one. I didn't, and it almost cost me big.
---------------------
You kinda have to run it at a higher rpm, and that is no good at all for rock climbing when a blip on the throttle is all you need, and you need it controlled and now. Maybe it was my own ignorance, I dunno, but the four stroke I ended up with was exactly what I needed.

Those two bits were a huge part of my reply. I never said the atv was junk, I said it wasn't at all for me..and IMO, it is NOT for a beginner, especially one that has no knowledge of two strokes or has noone around him that does. I'm giving an opinion based on my experience. I wished someone had done the same for me BEFORE I bought it, and I wouldn't have. The four stroke is a lot easier to ride, IMO.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
check out the 4x4 function of the quad. It's really dangerous when only
3 wheels are working in all wheel drive! (switch for selectable 2x to 4x @ right thumb)
-----------------------------------------------------------------

I also said that I traded it for a 500 Scrambler which was exactly what I should have bought to start with. I agree with you about it being a great mix of sport and utility. I'll assume that you know how Polaris 4wd works and that it doesn't kick in til the back tires spin, it's not a locker.

Any ways, not trying to sound snotty or anything, and I'm glad you like your machine. I loved my scramber 500 til I broke the frame on it running it too hard.. (told ya we were rookies!!!)

Of course, I wouldn't trade much for my predator nowadays...

Quick Reply: 02 scrambler 400 questions