Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

850XP - 30" Tires.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 05:33 AM
DCT
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FunRide
Like to test ride that possibility of the "skinny" setup with 9s on all four. I can't imagine it would matter that much on an 850 (from a mass perspective), but maybe. I'm in the mud more than I'd like to be, so not sure it would be the best option. Very cool though.
Yea, some added mass on an 850 is not going to be that noticeable. Still, added mass, and an increase in gear ratio will have some affect... all depends on the skins and wheels.

Anyhow, for mud, the Horn's would not be the best choice. A couple of the guys I know run the new Interco Reptile Radials "skinnies" on all four corners. They are very good in mud (still not a dedicated mud tire though), but still an excellent all-around trail tire. They all rave about how well they ride and handle too.

The bad news... they do run about an inch short.
The good news... they make them in 27X9X14, which would put them at around 26". Being that size only weighs 28 lbs... an 850 wouldn't even know they were on there.

Radial Reptile | Interco Tire

Keep in mind that to run "skinnies" on all four corners you need aftermarket rims to keep the tires all the same height.

In the end, if you want some rubber that will get you through a lot of tough mud spots... you need tires that are dedicated to mudding. Compromise is just that... a compromise.

In case your interested in seeing how the Replies look on a quad... here's a link (you will have to ignore the quad they are on though LOL)

Nyroc's ATV info website

Old 03-21-2010, 05:01 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by dirtdizzy
I just bought some outlaw radials getting them mounted this weekend...28x9.5x14 front and 28x12x14 rear...i am told that it is best mudd trail tire... we will see... xp 2010
dirtdizzy, I checked them out after reading your post. They are definitely an option for me. How tall are the lugs on those tires ? I can't locate specs on the Highlifter site. Thanks.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:30 PM
Trailblazer

i know the tires run true to size or taller...the lugs are 1.125 on 28... i have been told they will not let me down so we will see...got alot of mud down here but i don't want a true mud tire.. i like to trail ride and wanted something different and a radial.. everyone down here have mud lite or zillas so got these...was told the they will go 90% where outlaws will go but have benefits of trail riding.. going out with them next weekend i let you know...

Old 03-21-2010, 10:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

dct, ive been planning on going with grim reapers in 27x9-14. why would i have to get aftermarket rims . talked to friend who i get tires from and he said they will mount to my stock rims no problem. already seen an 09 xp 850 with same setup and it didnt look bad . i prefer bigger tires on the rear but dont want problems later on

Old 03-22-2010, 12:02 AM
Trailblazer

muddemon, I'm currently running ITP 589's - 27x9x14 and 27x11x14 on the stock rims on my '10 850 with no issues.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:05 AM
DCT
Banned

Originally Posted by muddemon
dct, ive been planning on going with grim reapers in 27x9-14. why would i have to get aftermarket rims . talked to friend who i get tires from and he said they will mount to my stock rims no problem. already seen an 09 xp 850 with same setup and it didnt look bad . i prefer bigger tires on the rear but dont want problems later on
The front and rear stock rims are different widths. If you mount the same size tire (in width) on the front and rear, you will end up with different diameters on the front and rear (front being taller/narrower).

Will they mount on the rims stock rims? Sure.
Do guys do it all the time? Yep.
Is it good for the machine? Probably not... especially in AWD/4WD
Guys make the same mistake in reverse by putting different width tires on 7" wide aftermarket rims. They seem to get away with it, but it's still not the best thing for the machine.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

you have made a good point, so going with aftermarket rims is still the way to go. if u were to use the stock rims what sizes would u have to run then , in front? and in rear ? my quad is an 09 850 xp or should i try to get a set of stock rear rims to put on the front. my quad is camo with the black steel rims.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:29 PM
DCT
Banned

you have made a good point, so going with aftermarket rims is still the way to go. if u were to use the stock rims what sizes would u have to run then , in front? and in rear ? my quad is an 09 850 xp or should i try to get a set of stock rear rims to put on the front. my quad is camo with the black steel rims.
muddemon,

I don't know much about the Grim Reapers. I do know that they are an 8 ply tire with deep tread... that will make them pretty heavy.

With that said, you first want to find out roughly what they weigh, and how they size... do they run short... true to size, or do they run taller than size.

If you are going with the 27X9X14 (or 26X9X14 which might be a better choice) on all four corners, you will probably want to go with aftermarket rims... keeping in mind that the quad will have a wider stance because of the wheel offset with the aftermarket rims.

If you stay with the stock rims, it looks like you have to go with 9" in the front and 11" in the back. That will mean you'll have to do some serious bending on the rear sway bar to get the 11" to clear.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:52 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by DCT
In case your interested in seeing how the Replies look on a quad... here's a link (you will have to ignore the quad they are on though LOL) Nyroc's ATV info website
Those great looking tires....all around use. Will have to look into those reptilians.

I've been to the NYROC site, and for the life of me could not find any mention to what "nyroc" stands for.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:05 PM
Pro Rider

Mud....I thought you were going to go with 9s on the front and 11s on the back? If I read it correctly, DCT was only talking about needing new wheels if you were going to run 9s on all fours, which I didn't hear you mention. Maybe I missed what you were saying. You should be able to use your factory wheels with 9s on the front and 11s on the back.

Edit: OK, reread Mud's post and now I see what he's talking about.

Quick Reply: 850XP - 30" Tires.