Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

atv stalled in water

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 10:58 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default atv stalled in water

I have a 01 sportsman 500ho I went threw some water deeper then I thought.

Was deep a nuff where muffler was under water my atv stalled then took me 10 15 min to get running after was out of the water.

another 1hr letting run before it would move.

Why did it stall I can member I had my atv way in water up to my seat never did this.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

water got into either the intake or exhaust. Thats the reason it was hard to start. Also water got into the belt cover and made it slip thats why it wouldn't move

Old 04-27-2010, 05:01 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

did it stall because you had the exhaust under water and not enough throttle applied to keep the water out or is it because of the eletronics got wet like the spark plug wire and it has a bad wire? leaning towards becuase exhaust was under. make sure there is no water in the oil!!

Old 04-27-2010, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Also, you want to be careful about starting a quad that is stalled in deep water. If water gets into the cylinder and you try to start it the engine can get destroyed. It's best to take out the spark plug and then crank it to push out any water in the cylinder. If your belt is wet there is a procedure in the owner's manual. Shift the transmission to neutral. Using the throttle, vary the engine RPM from idle to full throttle. Repeat several times as required. During this procedure, the throttle should not be held at the full position for more than 10 seconds. Clutch seals should be inspected for damage if repeated leaking occurs.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:35 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Make sure your pull rope handle is tightly over the recoil cover rope hole. There is a $350 stator and apulse coil that will be submerged if its not. I silicon mine in place now.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:06 AM
Trailblazer

Moose is right on about possible "hydrolocking" your engine - if you suck any water into your carb/engine - that's a serious concern. Also - I would run that thing for quite a while to make sure you have gotten rid of ANY moisture in the engine - can you say "rust" on bearings, etc. ?

Old 04-27-2010, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Also check your fluids to see if any water got into the transmission, oil, or gear boxes. If you see a milky color chances are water got in. Change them out if they got water. There's a screw or bolt head on the bottom of the muffler. You can take that off and park the quad on an incline to get the water out if it is in there.

Trending Topics

Old 04-27-2010, 10:19 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by TLC
Make sure your pull rope handle is tightly over the recoil cover rope hole. There is a $350 stator and apulse coil that will be submerged if its not. I silicon mine in place now.
Wow! That is a pretty serious weak link.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:26 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Originally Posted by uncle matt
Wow! That is a pretty serious weak link.
Yes it is, Hard core mud runners at High Lifter even remove the pull start and JB weld the hole closed.

There lots of Polaris Stator problem posts, its not that Polaris has bad stators but more that they can only handle so many swims. Same with the Bendix drive.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider

There's also a drain plug on your belt cover if you remove that it will allow any water in the cover to drain out .

Quick Reply: atv stalled in water