Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

green slime?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 08:01 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question green slime?

okay need bad and good points with this stuff. I used it on my old sport tires with steel rims cause I was tired of always pumping up my tires when I got to camp. Seemed to be the fix, never had a problem of slow leaks or flats on the trail. Well I have a sportsman now with aluminum rims and having the same problem of slow leaks. Should I keep using this stuff or is it doing more damage than good? Mind you I won't be changing my tires when it comes time .

Old 05-05-2010, 08:37 AM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

I've used it on steel and aluminum rims with no issues. Great product IMO. Only thing is, I don't use the whole recommended amount. Just enough to get the job done. I noticed that if you use more than actually needed, in colder weather it throws the balance of the wheel off until it finally gets distributed all around the tire. That stuff never dries up and will pool at the bottom causing an out of balance situation.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:44 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Highlifter has the same type of product and it's pretty awesome.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:51 AM
Pro Rider

Coming from a guy that did tires for years...I hate the stuff! LOL, what a mess!

I consider it a quick fix, gets you to the tire shop for repair. It can and will throw your tires out of balance, like readymix mentioned, worse in cold climates. If you've ever thrown a atv wheel w/slime on a balancer you'd realize just how out of balance it throws it. Not like they're perfectly balanced to start with but the slime makes it MUCH worse.

I say fix your leak right...take it to a shop, have them dunk the wheels and find the leaks. Probably coming from the bead. Let them break the bead and clean it, apply lube/sealant and remount.

It's rare but possible your aluminum rim is leaking(porous), it can happen with alum wheels. A good tire shop can dunk the tire, mark the rim where it's leaking, dismount, clean the rim and apply a sealant to the interior of the rim itself.

Your tires/rims can be leak free if done right and without the use of "slime". Any DECENT tire shop should be able to dunk, locate the leak be it tire, bead or wheel and fix in short order.

Wenty

Old 05-05-2010, 06:58 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

I hate the stuff too Wenty,BUT down here in Texas we have stickers that make a lot of small leaks. We use a tractor tire sealant that solves this. Have had some tires with a couple dozen small leaks from these things and this is best for us. YES it does cause the tires to do a little wobbling at high speeds. OPT

Old 05-05-2010, 07:22 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i've had good luck using slime in alum. wheels and yes it does make a mess when it comes time to change the tires for sure. if the bead is leaking then have them resealed. i need to on a couple of my tires and won't bother using the slime. on the trail where you poke a hole thrui the tire slime is the greatest stuff.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:37 PM
Trailblazer

I use slime in everything I own, riding lawn mower, kids bikes, trailer tires, my wheelers, everything. It has saved me more headaches than it has caused. I still carry a plug kit with me on rides though, just in case...

Old 05-05-2010, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it works, but is not a fix -all for tire /rim problems. years back I bought an old Blaster for a project, had decent front tires, but would not hold air, needed to sandblast and paint the rims anyway, so took them to tire shop, imagine my surprise to find both tires full of green slime, what a mess, and they still leaked like a sieve. Beads were all crusty, a good sand blasting and repaint, and the same tires, minus the slime, held air all winter stored in my shed. I used it in my riding lawn mower for a slow leak, worked fine there, but it was a tire leak, not a bead leak like my atv. Water check for bubbles around the bead and valve stem, if that is the source, a good bead cleaning could be all you need.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:50 AM
Trailblazer

On my older bikes (non radial tires) I carried an assortment of sheet metal screws with me and some RTV. Just pull out the thorn with needle nose pliers, apply a little RTV to the appropriate screw and thread it into the rubber, wait a few minutes and the leak is gone. I admit that it's not a great fix but its cheap and functional and sure beats riding out of the woods on the bead.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:54 AM
Trailblazer

Oh and if you do want to go with some type of slime sealant. I'd recommend visiting your local tractor store such as TSC, or John Deer. These places carry a very similar product just in larger qty. You will receive a lot more for your dollar.

Quick Reply: green slime?