Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Wheres the coolant going?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 09:40 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so got it as clean as its ever going to get and filled it up with water last night and its still full tonight. What is and where is the weep hole... i found a small hole by the pump that had a little moisture on it but thats it... Also how do i drain all of the coolant so i can refill with the right mixture.. the only way i see is to take of the hose but there has to be a better way isnt there. I did a search but didnt see anything unless its hidden in one of the overheating threads...Also...does anyone have an electronic service manual for a 2003 sportsman 700.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:16 AM
Pro Rider

pulling the lower rad hose is the way I did it, the weep hole is under the water pump -right side make sure if its got a leak over ther its not just the plastic cover, they make a metal replacement with a new o-ring gasket cause the plastic ones would warp.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:53 AM
Pro Rider

That little moisture around the weep hole is probably telling you what you don't want to hear........

Old 05-13-2010, 09:11 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks a lot big600 for ruining my surprise...lol.... So it looks like its leaking from the seal. in the 24 hrs from the last inspection it may have leake 2 drops. i watched it for an hour and never seen actuall drop.. i am going on a poker run this weekend. anybody have any reason why i can just add some sealant.... and if so how long does it typically last... and one last qeustion.. where are the grease zerts on the u joints as stated in the manual..

Old 05-14-2010, 04:23 PM
Pro Rider

The sealant probably isn't going to fix a water pump seal. Maybe if the leak is minor you will be OK for awhile but it really should be repaired. I needed to have the oil seal repaired at the same as long as they had it apart. I think my cost at the stealership was around $350??? They had to replace the oil as well and I had them do an overall inspection. I think there may be a special tool or know-how to replace the seal and I didn't want to do it. Most anything else I have done myself.....

Old 05-14-2010, 08:26 PM
Trailblazer

anybody ever replace the water pump mechanical seal... Do you need a special tool? Or is the special tool for the oil seal.. Oil is still very clean and i would really like to do this myself if at all possible dont really have the $$$ to throw away at the stealearship and dont really care for the local one anyway.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:33 PM
Pro Rider

they do make a removal tool for that job,but you're better off just using a couple skinny chisels to get the old one out. just be careful ,when you are chiseling that you don't gouge up the case too bad. you should get a new nut for the impeller too.

Old 05-16-2010, 02:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

Here's a good write up on replacing the seals.

ATV Time :: View topic - Water Pump Mechanical Seal how to replace - 2001 Sportsman

I'll be tackling this myself next week.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:49 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Thats a good write up to get the idea, but the water pump/seal on the twins are different then on the singles,I was told.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:38 PM
Trailblazer

Good write up but the seals are way different on the 03. I had it apart right down to the seal which i manage to bust a piece of the plastic on without even trying to do much. I am going to try and get ahold of a dealership where my uncle used to work. He said you do need a tool to do it right and that if i had most of it apart when i got there so that they could just pull the seal and press the new one in that he was sure he would give me agood deal.

Quick Reply: Wheres the coolant going?