Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Mud and trail tire ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 05:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mud and trail tire ??

OK so my buddy who bought his XP when I bought mine has started the tire war.. he went and bought 27" Mudlite XTR's. Of course he's single, lives with his father, and I have two teenage daughters and a mortgage. I can't justifiy XTR money. Thought about Zilla's but the 27" Zillas come in 10 and 12 inch width. Don't want to kill the handling with too wide tires, nor do I want to go too tall (like 28's). Now I'm thinking GBC Sparticus in 27", or maybe Interco swamplites. Anyone have any experience with these or any other's I haven't thought of? We ride a mix of hardpack and mud, and now we are going through a swamp about every other ride, so I need a tire that can do a bit of everything, and the Terrathons suck in mud. Thanks for the help.. Jeff

Old 05-18-2010, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

A buddy of mine has the Swamplites and he likes them. He hasn't been through the deepest and nastiest (I followed a freshly churned skidder road with nice foot deep clay with the XTRs) with us yet but has gone through several large mud/waterholes without a problem. Seemed good in the snow too.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:31 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

Rode wwith 2 buddys the other deep in crap including snow. I had the stk Terratorns, another had Mud lites XTR, and the other had Maxxis BigHorns.

Maxxis consistently went 100 yrds farther in any/all conditions.

Attached Thumbnails Mud and trail tire ??-p5110001.jpg  
Old 05-18-2010, 05:41 PM
Pro Rider

Bighorns do alright in sticky mud?? It looks like they'd pack up.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:59 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

Maxxis was on 850XP. Mud was Gumbo (like snot) and they ate it up. Before seeing that, I was going for the XTR's. I had to be winched & towed 2 times. Humiliating !

Hey, the XTR's are still a great tire in my book.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider

I took his 850 thru the local peanut butter pit, and was blown away by the XTR's. They're an awesome tire to be sure, I just can't afford them. They're pretty pricey!!

Old 05-18-2010, 06:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shouldn't have any handling issues with the zillas and from my experience they are a great all around tire.

Trending Topics

Old 05-18-2010, 07:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have the Bighorns and they do fill up with mud when going slow, but just hit the gas and they will clean out very easily. I had the same issues as you wanting a tire that will do everything from hard packed trails to mud, it performs great in both. The best part about them in the mud is the tire is non directional so you get equal traction going forward/backwards. (and its a radial) If you can afford this tire you wont be disappointed. There also is a tire called Duro Powergrip which has the same tread pattern but is cheaper. I really think tires make all the difference in the world so if you have to save a little longer try to do it.... thats a hard thing to do with those crappy stock tires though.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:45 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by bitterfitter
I took his 850 thru the local peanut butter pit, and was blown away by the XTR's. They're an awesome tire to be sure, I just can't afford them. They're pretty pricey!!
What are they charging for the XTR's up there?

Old 05-19-2010, 08:40 AM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

The ITP XTRs ARE worththe money. Tell hime to wait a little longer and save some more $$ and the purchase the XTRs.

ITP have been the best ATV tires I have had (I have been ATVing since 1998).

Quick Reply: Mud and trail tire ??