Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

ELECTRIC ATV!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2001, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, the other day I saw an Atv that was fully electric! I think that it has the same motor as their Veloci-Raptor (mule-type utility vehicle), which has 660 lbs./ft. of torque! Also with a quick charger, it can be charged in 12 min. With the stock battery, range is about 60 mi. per charge. They are currently working on a battery that can run up to 300 mi. a charge! They claim this atv can: "out run, out hill climb, and out accelerate its combustion cousins."

Old 03-02-2001, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider

The company is Planet Electric in Van Nuys, California. www.planetelectric.com

Old 03-03-2001, 08:37 AM
Pro Rider

i doubt it has 660 ft-lbs of torque. the dodge cummins diesel, duramax, or powerstroke does not have anywhere near this torque. i dont see how a electric motor could make that torque unless it has a HUGE gear reduction.

later
jon

Old 03-03-2001, 02:25 PM
Range Rover

Actually, electric motors do produce tremendous torque but may not produce much RPM. So horsepower is not that high. I think they’ll have battery problems like everyone else.

I saw a go-cart powered by a fuel cell in Popular Mechanics, built by DaimlerBenz.

Old 03-03-2001, 02:26 PM
Trailblazer

i see can just see how well an electic quad is going to hold up with the things people do with them. Fact is that it will never work as well off road as a gas quad will, and will never outrun a regular quad. Have you seen any elictric cars in nascar, don't think so. And anyway what fun is a quad without an engine to work on. Might be good for a project quad but in the real world Quads will be gas.

Old 03-03-2001, 05:02 PM
Range Rover

Daimler-Benz has been spending a LOT of money on fuel cell technology. As well, so has Ford. Hydrogen fuel cells have a possibility to be used in just about anything that the internal combustion engine can. I do not think for one minute that in the near future it would be improbable for something like this to be used in the ATV and M/C industry. Especially with regards to the clean enviromental concerns the manufacturers are facing these days. Fuel cells can appearantly be made to work efficiently at a cost that is not unreasonable. I for one will look forward to this new developing technology, however I would miss the sound of a thumper as your running thru the woods......hey....install an articial sound system to give you the thumper experience or maybe a two stroke or both!

Old 03-03-2001, 05:13 PM
Pro Rider

even if Fuel Cells can be put in a Quad they will still be slow. look at the HO it has 24rwhp. to get the same power from a electric engine it would have to be a BIG engine that would add a lot of weight too.

later
jon

Trending Topics

Old 03-03-2001, 05:29 PM
Range Rover

I'm referring to HYDROGEN fuel cells. You do not have to use them with electric motors! From what little I know at this point they can be used with the standard internal combustion motors with some adaptations. I believe the benefits will be much longer range, less cost than gas and very equivelant hp ratings. I may be wrong but then again maybe not! The point of this is that there will be alternatives in the near future. And remember everyone at the turn of the 20th century once thought that the automobile was just a fad and a novelty no one dreamed of the advancements to be brought forth. I feel there are some real possibilities here!!

Old 03-03-2001, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider

the way that i understand a fuel cell is that it comverts a gas(hydrogen)into electricity with little or no pollution. the electricity can be used to power things, like motors.

i dont see how u can use a fuel cell with a internal combustion engine. they are separate machines.

later
jon

Old 03-03-2001, 08:27 PM
Trailblazer

PROBLEM, WATER, what happens when you go into water!!!, tell me, please reply

Quick Reply: ELECTRIC ATV!