Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2010 Polaris 500 HO ????

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 05:56 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Polaris 500 HO ????

Hello all, not only am i new to the forums here but i am also a new and proud owner of my very first ATV and I chose a 2010 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO..with that being said I have a few questions that maybe someone with more knowledge about ATV's can answer.

#1. Rear Shock Adjustment: When I picked up my ATV from the Dealer, they said if I planed to haul loads connected to the hitch or planned on hauling deer on a rack attached to the hitch , then I would need to adjust my rear shocks..my question is what setting should I be using for overall best performance?

#2. My second question is regarding winch installation, I have read on other forums or sites that the newer ATV's are prewired for winch installation. After looking over mt ATV I am not so sure my 500 HO is, maybe it is and I am not looking for the right wires..any help here is appreciated.

Thanks Rick

Old 06-06-2010, 06:36 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rwtaxidermy
Hello all, not only am i new to the forums here but i am also a new and proud owner of my very first ATV and I chose a 2010 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO..with that being said I have a few questions that maybe someone with more knowledge about ATV's can answer.

#1. Rear Shock Adjustment: When I picked up my ATV from the Dealer, they said if I planed to haul loads connected to the hitch or planned on hauling deer on a rack attached to the hitch , then I would need to adjust my rear shocks..my question is what setting should I be using for overall best performance?

#2. My second question is regarding winch installation, I have read on other forums or sites that the newer ATV's are prewired for winch installation. After looking over mt ATV I am not so sure my 500 HO is, maybe it is and I am not looking for the right wires..any help here is appreciated.

Thanks Rick
welcome to the forum. the adjustment is up to you on how much you way and how much load you have on it. basicly see how it feels to you and adjust accordingly. if you look under the right side front fender(the right side is while your sitting on it)then you should see a small bent (like a box)piece of steel bolted to the frame w/ 2 bolts. take off the 2 bolts and that is where the contacter goes and you will see where the wires are alreay there. when you get a good winch and start to install by taking apart what you'll need then you figure it out by the directions

Old 06-06-2010, 08:34 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Is kind of a drag setting the suspension when I load up heavy for camping. I set the springs stiff to get my heavy gear in but you have to set it back once you unload because the ATV rides way to rough at that setting for general trail riding.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:25 AM
Trailblazer
Default bottom out

I just got back in to 4 wheelin and traded in my streetbikes to buy two sportsman 500 HO's. One for me and one for the wife. They run great of course i only have 5 hours on them right now. i put one of my trailers on it (granted it is a heavy trailer) and it bottomed out i mean the front tires would barely steer. i was thinking of making a link to lock the lower A-arms together that I can pop in to move a trailer then take it off to ride it seems that it would be faster then adjusting every time. The only downfall is that i would have NO suspension with it on. Any ideas????

Old 06-22-2010, 09:31 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Put Heavy duty Springs on the back, my HD springs on 2nd softest setting were like my stock springs on stiffest setting. If that dont work your just hauling too much weight for any ATV. I but HD on the front as well.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:35 AM
Trailblazer
Default HD springs

how much did that cost you, i only haul the trailer empty and just to move it from the back yard to the front so i don't tear up the grass with a pickup
Thanks

Old 06-22-2010, 09:37 AM
Trailblazer
Default bottom out

I remember back in 2002 i had a Big Bear 400 with half the power but it was a straight axle and it would pull the same trailer no problem ( as far as suspension was concerned) it strugled to move the wieght.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:44 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

I think I paid like $60 a pair . Here is a idea of there prices. EPI Heavy Duty Springs

Yes straight axles do not carry trailer tonque weight on there suspension, one of there few advantages.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by JK500sp
I remember back in 2002 i had a Big Bear 400 with half the power but it was a straight axle and it would pull the same trailer no problem ( as far as suspension was concerned) it strugled to move the wieght.

With a straight axle the hitch is attached directly to the axle where as on an IRS quad like the sportsman the weight is carried through the suspension.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:55 PM
Pro Rider

I see in your sig, you added a bigger tank to your 500HO? How did you do that? And what about the cage, is it a JD one? How did you score the metal one? How long did the original last, and what kind of riding?

Thanks,

Will

Originally Posted by TLC
Is kind of a drag setting the suspension when I load up heavy for camping. I set the springs stiff to get my heavy gear in but you have to set it back once you unload because the ATV rides way to rough at that setting for general trail riding.

Quick Reply: 2010 Polaris 500 HO ????