Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Dealer says clutch is junk

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 06:41 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer says clutch is junk

Took the drive clutch off my ATV ('01 500HO) as it was creeping on me. got it to the dealer and said because the sheaves were scored our grooved that the clutch needs to be replaced at $430.00
I've done alot of looking around on the net and can't find anyone who sells the sheaves. I find plenty of P90 rebuild kits but no sheaves. I think my clutch is a P90, if not tell me what it is.
I can rebuild the clutch if i can find the parts or is this just one of those things that you take off and throw it in the trash can.
Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:53 PM
Trailblazer

does it have ebs I have had a few and never seen one that did not have any makes on the clutch if it does not have ebs could be the belt or the engine and trans my not be lined up if you have a diff. belt try it and see what happens

Old 06-29-2010, 06:55 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

is there actual grooves or is the crome peeling off your sheeves? creping is most likely caused form thwe ebs bushing or bad washers. imo

Old 06-29-2010, 07:02 PM
Range Rover

It has EBS. I would buy the rebuild kit if I thought it would work. I don't know if the dealer is speaking the truth or just trying to sell me a $430. clutch

Old 06-29-2010, 09:21 PM
Trailblazer
Default clutch

are the sheeves grooved down at the bottom right above the one way clutch?If its grooved down at the bottom then the the grooves in the belt wont line back up with the one way properly.because the belt will set over against the sheeve in the groove in the sheeve and not align its self with the one way.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:32 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look on Ebay for a used EBS primary clutch.Just the same weights and spring that is in your old one.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:35 AM
Pro Rider
My home made pliers did get the job too.

I rebuild clutches on sleds, and ATV's all the time, there have been times when I see a clutch and I have to tell them it is junk. So here goes; first of all can you get us some close up pic's of the sheaves? Have you ever rebuilt the clutch in the past? If you haven't and the clutch is from a 2001 Polaris, chances are the dealer is right, if you have rebuilt the clutch in the past, then it might have life. You can run your finger down the sheaves and if you notice any grooving or warping towards the taper, time to start looking.
If the clutch is shot, I would go to a Insurance salvage yard, E-Bay, CL's, any swap meets, etc to find another clutch

Old 07-01-2010, 10:09 AM
Pro Rider

Yes yours is a P90 Atv clutch. And yes unfortunately if the grooves are real bad you are better off replacing clutch then rebuilding. If the grooves are bad, you can rebuild the clutch but you will still see performance and ware issues.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:40 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Go on E bay, Cant you buy any Sportsman 500 clutch from any parted out SP500,Magnium,Xplorer of any year as long as you buy its matching scondary as well? The 500,455,425 Fuji motor never ever changed so the crank the primary goes on are the same and the tranny of the SP500 never changed so the secondary should fit also.

Who cares if its a used Primary and secondary from a wrecked 1998 or 2009.

For that matter cant you use any primary that fits your Fuji motor's crank with you secondary as long as they aligned correctly.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:30 PM
Pro Rider

i would upgrade your clutch to the newer roller style clutches, anyway, get the clutches off a 07 and newer 800, alot less problems with the ebs with them.

Quick Reply: Dealer says clutch is junk