Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2008 polaris sportsman 800 efi, back firing

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 11:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 polaris sportsman 800 efi, back firing

Ok new to the forum and i am also new to quads with efi, just got this quad for the family ran great until i was cruising hit a puddle and then the quad almost died so obvisously something got wet and has a bad connection somewhere, quad still runs fine now but it will run fine but as soon as you let off the throttle and the rpms drop down it will backfire everytime wether in neutrel or high/low etc if any body would have any ideas on how to fix/solve this problem i would appreciat it , i just changed the plugs today i checked for any error codes and none, it started backfiring ever since i went through the puddle, not deep just splashed up every where and this was over a week ago now just want it to run fine for the weekend for the family , thank for any and all replies,

Jay

Old 07-01-2010, 01:12 AM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

Not sure if this will help your problem but it's always a good idea to use a dialectic grease on all your electrical connections.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:23 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by readymixer169
Not sure if this will help your problem but it's always a good idea to use a dialectic grease on all your electrical connections.
x's 2

Old 07-01-2010, 06:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

readymixer has the right idea. I would take off the seat and side covers, find all plug connectors, open them up, dielectric them, and make sure they are back together properly. Happens sometimes from the factory where it is together enough to work but gets wet easily. Or in my case, an o-ring was not installed on one of the shafts in the shifter housing. Come Winter it didn't want to shift because water had seeped in and frozen. quick fix and I sealed the death out of it with no problems since. Hope you get it going good before the weekend! Welcome to the forum!

Old 07-01-2010, 06:50 AM
Pro Rider

put dielectric grease in te spark plug boots, check the slack in the throttle cable for the etc, theres an adjustment about 4' from the thumb throttle, should have 1/8 inch of slack at the throttle

Old 07-01-2010, 06:55 AM
Pro Rider
My home made pliers did get the job too.

I would check the sensor just behind the EFI throttle body, I.E. Brown wire. You will have to pull back the plastic casing. My '07 800 X2 was back firing, and I found the wire to be broken from the seat

Old 07-01-2010, 09:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks to all for the help i will try all of these hints/solutions today as soon as i can get some dialectic grease, and find a repair/service manual, have a good day to all

Jay

Old 07-01-2010, 02:53 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

sounds like either bad wire/connection or maybe the override(etc) is out of adjustment like mentioned it should have 1/8" play.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

I started taking things apart on the quad and noticed that there is a crack in the exhaust , header could this be causing it to back fire when i let off the throttle and the rpms lower just curious,

Old 07-06-2010, 11:35 AM
BPM
Range Rover

Thats what it is. My 700 dounut gasget went bad and did the same thing. Also happen to a buddy of mines to. Any exhaust leaks on these will make them back fire.

Quick Reply: 2008 polaris sportsman 800 efi, back firing