Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Need Everyone's Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 11:47 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Everyone's Advice

Hey guys, I know this issue has been brought up several times by other members, but I would really like to know everyone's opinion. My factory warranty goes out next month and I have really been trying to decide if I need to purchase a extended warranty or not. I know with my luck if I don't buy one, I will need it and if I do buy one, I probaly will never need it. The issue that I have to decide is if I want to buy new tires or extended warranty. The only time it gets used alot is in the winter during duck season and we are in muddy wet fields the whole time. The polaris warranty will cost me 450 plus tax for 2 years with a $50 ded., and I had a ,dealer tell me that he only sells western warranties because he thinks they are better than polaris which is 3 years for 495 plus tax with 0 ded., and a 3 year Assurant warranty for 699 plus tax with $50 ded. Do any of yall have experience with these other warranties and what do yall think? Thanks

Old 07-16-2010, 11:56 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

My experience is who the warranty is with is less important than who you take it to for warranty work.

It's up to the dealer to decide if they think it's covered, and if it's border line, it's up to the dealer to fight to get it covered for you.

Also, how handy are you with the wrenches?

Old 07-16-2010, 12:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Scootergptx
Welcome to the forums.

My experience is who the warranty is with is less important than who you take it to for warranty work.

It's up to the dealer to decide if they think it's covered, and if it's border line, it's up to the dealer to fight to get it covered for you.

Also, how handy are you with the wrenches?
I am somewhat handy with the wrenches, but I am nowhere near being a mechanic nor have really done any work on one. The place that offered me the Western contract seem like really nice people and said that they sell them because they don't think Polaris warranty covers things that it should. This is not the dealer that I bought my atv from but they seem like really good people and act like they want to help. However, that may change after you give them some money. The place where I bought my atv is just too far away to take for service or repairs and this place is alot closer. The nearest dealer to me are ****** and I would probaly be better off working on it myself. I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts and try and figure out if I should purchase the warranty. Right now, I am leaning toward the 3 yr. Western.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:35 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

What quad do you have?

I got a warranty on my 06 kfx400 just because the price was too good to turn down. Then never used it. Didn't get one on my wifes 03 Trail Blazer and spent 400 bucks fixing a tranny.

I'd also go take a look back in the actual service department. You'll get a better idea of what kind of work to expect out of them. A good mechanic likes a clean and organized place to work.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:35 PM
Pro Rider

I know in my case if I would of bought an extended warranty I would of thrown that money away . These machines are pretty solid myself I'm glad I never bought the warranty . Just follow your manual and do your services and you should be fine .

Old 07-16-2010, 02:21 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

Before you get the warranty, Read the fine print! What will it actually cover? Are there any catches, so on and so on.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Should you need an extended warranty? My opinion on that is no, but what I am encouraging all popo owners to do is contact Polaris directly and let then know that a 6 month warranty is lame on a product they claim to be the toughest ATV on earth. Most other brands offer at least a year and that would be fair to me. Perfect example-bought my daughter a new 300sp last year for Christmas in November. Only got to ride it a little around my yard during the Winter and had to hold off hitting the trails in the Spring until she had her safety training. Luckily, the only issue we had was the idle was set too high making it hard to shift which was adjusted and it was gone through by the dealer. No issues since(hope it stays that way). Guess the point I'm trying to make is they need to back up their product in the crucial break-in time and a little after. 6 months is too short especially up here in MN where you can't hit the trails in the Winter because the ****-retentive snowmobilers lay claim to everything but private land. If something major doesn't go in a year and you maintain your machine then chances are it will live a long life.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:26 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd buy the warranty. Why?. Because life happens. And atv's are built and assembled a lot sloppier than they could be. QC should be better.

Look at it this way, for $450.00 you can buy tires, or a warranty. With the tires, you can patch a flat, no biggie. But have something break on the atv with no warranty, do you have an extra 1K in savings for repairs?. Which scenario makes you feel better, having the warranty cover a ruined jug and piston, or you explaining to the wife and kids why they will be no vacation, because you need the money for repairs?.

Or, rotten case scenario, the atv sits, useless, because you can't afford to fix it; AND you are still PAYING on it. How would that strike you?

Buy the warranty, you can buy tires on Craigslist, Ebay, the newspaper, or ride the stockers till their bald, and save up more money.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:39 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

before you buy it, check to see what is does and does NOT cover to see if it's worth it to you or not. imo

Old 07-17-2010, 02:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

have you had issues w/ the machine since you acquired it? I find that extended warranty's are more so than not wasted money. I agree w/ all the other posts that it all depends on the dealer and the items that are actually covered.

Quick Reply: Need Everyone's Advice