Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Just picked up my first Polaris...Needs TLC.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 09:34 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just picked up my first Polaris...Needs TLC.

I just picked up a 2006 800 for $800 (All Wheel drive on Demand) It runs decent but needs a little TLC. The previous owner was a surveyor so he put alot of time and miles on it. 4000hrs, a little more than 6000 miles.

To start...the front seat hooks are busted off and gone. Only latched from the rear. Where can I get a replacement without getting raped?

The rear, lower control arm mounts needs new bushings and it seems it has needed it for some time. The hole in the mounting plate is egged out just a touch on the left side, but even more so on the right. Can those mounting plates be replaced.

Where can I find a good manual for this thing? I want to go through and replace all the fluids and spark plugs and want to make sure I use what I should be using.

I am no stranger to turning wrenches as I will dig deep into my diesel trucks engine for almost anything...but the Polaris is kind of new to me so I want to get the right start.

Thanks everyone!!

Old 07-26-2010, 09:50 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

I'd check out ebay for a seat and service manual. Might be one for a decent price there.

Some other members that have that model will be able to tell you about the spark plug, fluids and whether the mounting plates can still be used.

Hope you have it out on the trails soon.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

Oh it will be out on the trails pretty quick. I have some property and access to alot more so I was out playing with it over the weekend. There are some other things that I found that I need to work on...
Air box needs replaced. The seat had been split down the middle so it put pressure on the air box, busted the mounting ears and it hit against the exhaust a little and melted it some.
Front right top shock mount is split on the outer edge. Shock is still connected solid but I need to pull it off and weld it back together.
Right tail/brake light wont work even with a new bulb so I need to track down that wiring.
And the heated grips wont shut off so I cut the wires for now til I get the switch replaced, (At least thats what seems to be the issue).

But for $800.... I'm not gonna argue. already been using it to maneuver my trailers around as I cleaned out my workshop and such.

Oh...and it does idle a little rough... still trying to figure that one out. But all in all it runs decent.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider

That machine has done a major amount of idling .

Old 07-26-2010, 05:02 PM
Pro Rider

That's an average of 1.5 mph!

Old 07-28-2010, 12:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by EastCoastWest
That's an average of 1.5 mph!

Yep! THe PO was a surveyor so I imagine he did alot of Putzing around.

I also noticed the suspension is pretty soft. It sits good but when I get on the throttle from a stop, the butt end drops alot more that I would expect. I also hooked up my flatbed to it and the tounge weight is only about 350lbs but it sunk down so much the fenders almost touched the tires. I am thinking worn springs. There are alot of small holes in the rear and front racks so I think he prolly mounted alot of heavy stuff to it.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:10 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

thats exceeding the tongue weight for that machine. you can either adjust the shocks up or replace the stock springs w/ heavier ones. you should be able to get a down load pdf manual for that bike. make sure you use the correct polaris fluid for the front end for sure to not have any awd issues.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:09 PM
Trailblazer
Smile

Originally Posted by billybob69
Yep! THe PO was a surveyor so I imagine he did alot of Putzing around.
Hey Let's go EASY on the Surveyors here ('cause I are one)
Chances are that machine hauled a lot of weight, as in surveying equipment - AND - I doubt if he did much "putzing around" with it - I'm sure that wheeler was put to good use.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:42 AM
Pro Rider
My home made pliers did get the job too.

Originally Posted by tv4fish
Hey Let's go EASY on the Surveyors here ('cause I are one)
Chances are that machine hauled a lot of weight, as in surveying equipment - AND - I doubt if he did much "putzing around" with it - I'm sure that wheeler was put to good use.
You sure the machine was used for surveying purposes and need blazing a new trail for the DNR

Old 07-30-2010, 08:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

hehe no digging at surveyors. I just imagine someone with a ton of equipment crawling here and there, setting up up, taking shots, breaking down and moving to the next spot. But then again, I am not a surveyor.

I figure that $800 was a decent deal. If I have to put another $1k into it to get it back on track right, I am still ahead of the curve.

Quick Reply: Just picked up my first Polaris...Needs TLC.