Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Newbie looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 10:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie looking for advice

Hey folks,
New to the forum and hoping to get some help. I just bought a 2003 Polaris Sportsman 600 about 2 weeks ago. It seems to be in very good shape and only has 80 hours/446 miles on it per the display. From visual appearance I have no doubt that these numbers are correct.

Need help with a couple of issues:

First; the speedometer does not function?? Everything else on the display works fine but the pointer for the speedo does not move. I thought maybe it was a fuse but after searching the OM, there doesn't appear to be any fuses?? Any suggestions/help would be appreciated!

Second; the 600 came with stock tires and I would like to upgrade. Does anyone know how large I can go without a lift and new wheels? I have 28x12's on my Honda and would like to put the same on the Polaris. Does anyone know if I would need a lift to put 28's on this one? Is there a certain wheel size and set-back I should look for in the wheels?

Thanks for any help and thanks for your time!

Tom

Old 07-29-2010, 07:25 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

I don't have experience with that particular model, but I'm sure you'll get a lot of help on this. Lots of knowledgeable people here.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:06 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

If your AWD still works then your "Hall Effect" sensor at you right front disk brake is shot. $50 and easy to change.
Mines been out for 3 years just to lazy to deal with it and I dont look at the speedo anyways. The only fuction that should still work on the speedo without the sensor is the hour meter.

Part # 28 in pic. and $41 from here http://www.cyclepartswarehouse.com/f...2003&fveh=5616

Old 07-29-2010, 09:51 AM
Pro Rider

I agree that it is the Hall Effect sensor. Replaced mine last year. Are you looking to use the stock chrome rims with those tires??

Old 07-29-2010, 10:19 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Welcome! I had this same problem when I had my 04 600 Sp and to make a long story short it ended up being a broken ground wire under the front hood! Also check to see if you AWD switch is working????? A good indication of the problem! Good luck hope this helps!

Old 07-29-2010, 10:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Scootergptx:
Thanks for the welcome!

TLC:
REALLY appreciate the advice and the links! If that is the problem you sure made things easy for me; Thanks again!!

Big600twin:
Thanks also for the response. I will not be able to retain the stock chrome rims because they will not handle the size tires I am considering. I have 28x12x12's on my sons Honda and was thinking of going with the same size on the Polaris. Haven't had any feedback on it yet but I am guessing I will also need to add a lift to handle those tires??

DODGE57HEMI:
Thanks for the suggestion; I will check the wiring tomorrow. If the AWD switch is NOT working; what would that indicate? What is the best way to check the AWD switch?

Thanks to eveyone for your time and replies! Just joined last night but I can already tell this is a great forum! (Sorry to be so long winded!)

Tom

Old 07-29-2010, 10:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely looking at a lift and front wheel spacers to run 28x12's. As for rims, if you buy an aftermarket set for your model they will have the right offset. Also by going with a wide front tire expect more frequent bearing/tie rod end changes and upgrading axles if you ride aggressively.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by switzomatic
Definitely looking at a lift and front wheel spacers to run 28x12's. As for rims, if you buy an aftermarket set for your model they will have the right offset. Also by going with a wide front tire expect more frequent bearing/tie rod end changes and upgrading axles if you ride aggressively.
Thanks very much for the input! What would you recommend? If I went with 26's would I still need the lift, spacers, axles, etc.? I do not trail ride that often yet, mostly just around my 4 acres but when I go trail riding a couple of times a year we ride hard.

Thanks again, Tom.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:16 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

General rule of thumb on Polaris is you can go up one inch from stock on tires and maybe get away with two. Will still need spacers up front if you go with a tire more than 1" wider than stock.

As for a lift kit, my opinion is to pass for now. Get the bugs worked out of it and some riding time in.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by switzomatic
General rule of thumb on Polaris is you can go up one inch from stock on tires and maybe get away with two. Will still need spacers up front if you go with a tire more than 1" wider than stock.

As for a lift kit, my opinion is to pass for now. Get the bugs worked out of it and some riding time in.
Thanks much for the advice; pretty much the same thoughts I came to after thinking about it some more. I think I will wait until after a good trail ride before I change anything.

Now I have a new problem to work on; the idle speed is sticking and because of that I can't shift without shutting it down. Guess I need to finish putting my son's Honda Foreman back together so I can get it out of the garage and take a good look under the plastic on the Polaris!!

Quick Reply: Newbie looking for advice