Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Fuel pickup problem - 800 EFI

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 05:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pickup problem - 800 EFI

I'm having a problem with my 800, when it gets down to half full or so it looses it's fuel. If I refill it, it runs fine until it gets back down to the same fuel level where it dies again. Anyone have any idea what's going on? It runs fine otherwise.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Have you checked that the tank is empty or is it still half full? The Sportsman is notorious for bad fuel senders. Mine would not ever go above half full.

I removed the plactic and on top of the tank you can pull out the whole fuel sender and pump. I took mine out and cleaned the contacts on the crude slider/float. Its the only part I have found that is made in china!!!!

You can also put test the resistance on the sender. From memort I think it should go 3 ohms to 90 ohms at full. I put mine back in the tank and it's worked well ever since.

You might alos have a bad fuel pump. $500+ in Polaris (made in chine) OEM part or I understand you can buy an alternate for about $150.

Good luck.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:13 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

Check your tank vent tubes. If they're plugged the tank can create a vacuum as the fuel level drops until an equilibrium is reached not letting more fuel out. (like holding your finger on the end of a straw with water in it upside down) Not sure if that theory applies to an EFI model but I wouldn't think it should make a difference. Almost all fuel tanks need to vent in order to work properly.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:18 AM
Pro Rider

When it happens the pump sounds different (when turning the key), it almost sounds like it's under more strain (slowing down). On the ride prevous to the one where this started I ran it really low on gas so the inline filter (between the tank and fuel rail) may be plugged. I'm pretty sure it's not a venting issue since I pulled the cap to check the fuel level and it still did the same thing.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:04 PM
Pro Rider

In addition to the above it's also throwing blink code 41, I pulled the + battery cable and that cleared the code.

I also replaced the fuel filter today, what sadistic person decided to place it there, behind the radiator and right behind the strut cross brace?

Also....
My left front cv axle is loose, where it goes into the front drive case, not the axle itself. Any idea what that’s about?

I'm wondering what's going to happen next, this is my second and last Polaris. I love the way it rides and handles but I need something reliable given the places I end up, usually by myself....