ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Polaris (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/)
-   -   electric prob (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/329769-electric-prob.html)

itstillruns 08-10-2010 07:56 PM

electric prob

I replaced stock headlights with aftermarket. Now quad will run short time and stall/shut down. after unplugging lights it runs fine .But with high beam (no low beam and 4x4 coil on it shuts down . what and where relay did I kill?

stendori 08-11-2010 03:41 PM

sounds like it's drawing way to much current. is it installed correctly w/ the right relay's?

caperinmuskoka 08-11-2010 08:19 PM

Is it a newer Quad with the ECM (Sure Power Module)??
You did not list a year or model.
....Caper.......

caperinmuskoka 08-11-2010 08:21 PM

My 2006 Sp 450 would shut down when the lights were turned on (stock ones) this was the solid state circuit breakers shutting the Quad down for protection.....when I turned the light switch off and cycle the key back to off ....It would start again...............Until the light Switch was put on again...........Caper............

itstillruns 08-17-2010 11:00 PM

all i did was replace stock headlights with after market " driving lights" 55w walmart specials

itstillruns 08-18-2010 06:38 AM

all this sounds like my problem but where is the relay or breaker I tripped located so I can test it? I simply cut the stock headlight wires and added push connectors with new headlights. let the quad sit it resets its self and runs fine until I turn anything electric on. Then it shuts down.

caperinmuskoka 08-18-2010 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by itstillruns (Post 2952760)
all this sounds like my problem but where is the relay or breaker I tripped located so I can test it? I simply cut the stock headlight wires and added push connectors with new headlights. let the quad sit it resets its self and runs fine until I turn anything electric on. Then it shuts down.

There is no relay or breakers if you have the Sure Power Module (black box),,(Silver is the new replacement one) the have solid state circuit breakers installed directly into the module.........The quad shut down on me right away when the lights were turned on.........If the Recall was not done =check into it.

The reason the Quad turns off is for protection.........Caper..........
Nobody listed a year or model quad yet? Mine was on two Sp 450's ..2006 year.
Caper..........

MrMarty51 08-18-2010 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by caperinmuskoka (Post 2952763)
There is no relay or breakers if you have the Sure Power Module (black box),,(Silver is the new replacement one) the have solid state circuit breakers installed directly into the module.........The quad shut down on me right away when the lights were turned on.........If the Recall was not done =check into it.

The reason the Quad turns off is for protection.........Caper..........
Nobody listed a year or model quad yet? Mine was on two Sp 450's ..2006 year.
Caper..........

If You still have the old style module and the dealer is doing the recall replacement,be there when the mechanic is ready to install the new module,have Him remove the cover and make sure it is not filled with corossion,please do`nt ask Me how I know lest it start another rant.

TLC 08-18-2010 11:14 AM

Nobody listed a year or model quad yet? Mine was on two Sp 450's ..2006 year
I know ,it should be the first thing before a question. Thats why you put your ATV in your signature then you can skip that part.

I tried these super duper brigh blue light bulbs in my sled last winter,they blew my Voltage rectifier and melted some wires. Big mistake.

His sounds differen though,he stayed with the same 55W rating as stock and just did a straight foward wire connect. Should of worked simple.

itstillruns 08-18-2010 11:45 AM

year

Oh I suppose this would help! its a 04 700 SP, early 04 carb model. still runnin! sorta