Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

electric prob

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 07:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electric prob

I replaced stock headlights with aftermarket. Now quad will run short time and stall/shut down. after unplugging lights it runs fine .But with high beam (no low beam and 4x4 coil on it shuts down . what and where relay did I kill?

Old 08-11-2010, 03:41 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

sounds like it's drawing way to much current. is it installed correctly w/ the right relay's?

Old 08-11-2010, 08:19 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it a newer Quad with the ECM (Sure Power Module)??
You did not list a year or model.
....Caper.......

Old 08-11-2010, 08:21 PM

My 2006 Sp 450 would shut down when the lights were turned on (stock ones) this was the solid state circuit breakers shutting the Quad down for protection.....when I turned the light switch off and cycle the key back to off ....It would start again...............Until the light Switch was put on again...........Caper............

Old 08-17-2010, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider

all i did was replace stock headlights with after market " driving lights" 55w walmart specials

Old 08-18-2010, 06:38 AM
Pro Rider

all this sounds like my problem but where is the relay or breaker I tripped located so I can test it? I simply cut the stock headlight wires and added push connectors with new headlights. let the quad sit it resets its self and runs fine until I turn anything electric on. Then it shuts down.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by itstillruns
all this sounds like my problem but where is the relay or breaker I tripped located so I can test it? I simply cut the stock headlight wires and added push connectors with new headlights. let the quad sit it resets its self and runs fine until I turn anything electric on. Then it shuts down.
There is no relay or breakers if you have the Sure Power Module (black box),,(Silver is the new replacement one) the have solid state circuit breakers installed directly into the module.........The quad shut down on me right away when the lights were turned on.........If the Recall was not done =check into it.

The reason the Quad turns off is for protection.........Caper..........
Nobody listed a year or model quad yet? Mine was on two Sp 450's ..2006 year.
Caper..........

Old 08-18-2010, 08:24 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by caperinmuskoka
There is no relay or breakers if you have the Sure Power Module (black box),,(Silver is the new replacement one) the have solid state circuit breakers installed directly into the module.........The quad shut down on me right away when the lights were turned on.........If the Recall was not done =check into it.

The reason the Quad turns off is for protection.........Caper..........
Nobody listed a year or model quad yet? Mine was on two Sp 450's ..2006 year.
Caper..........
If You still have the old style module and the dealer is doing the recall replacement,be there when the mechanic is ready to install the new module,have Him remove the cover and make sure it is not filled with corossion,please do`nt ask Me how I know lest it start another rant.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:14 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Nobody listed a year or model quad yet? Mine was on two Sp 450's ..2006 year
I know ,it should be the first thing before a question. Thats why you put your ATV in your signature then you can skip that part.

I tried these super duper brigh blue light bulbs in my sled last winter,they blew my Voltage rectifier and melted some wires. Big mistake.

His sounds differen though,he stayed with the same 55W rating as stock and just did a straight foward wire connect. Should of worked simple.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:45 AM
Pro Rider
Default year

Oh I suppose this would help! its a 04 700 SP, early 04 carb model. still runnin! sorta

Quick Reply: electric prob