Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Octane question.........

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 11:19 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Octane question.........

Heres a good discussion topic, what octane fuel should i run on a 02' Polaris trailboss 325?

Old 08-15-2010, 11:27 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

There all rated for Regular 87 Octane. Maybe a super high compression ratio Sport ATV may require High test.

Old 08-15-2010, 01:27 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

any more then what is recommend is a wast of money and does more harm then good. only an engine w/ the hiher compression ratio can benifit from high octang

Old 08-15-2010, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess that took care of that topic. (insert wink)

Old 08-15-2010, 09:33 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

Originally Posted by stendori
any more then what is recommend is a wast of money and does more harm then good. only an engine w/ the hiher compression ratio can benifit from high octang
Maybe you guy's know more than I about gas engines since I've been around mostly diesels my whole life so please explain. Yes it does cost more to run the better stuff but shouldn't it burn cleaner and more efficiently. I've been running the 91-92 octane in both my machines since the premium around here doesn't have ethanol in it yet. And what harm would this cause other than burning a little hotter. Not to mention My B-in laws 02 raptor 660 states in the owners manual to run a minimum 91 octane and the same for my buddy's 05 grizzly. Their books spec the compression at 10.5 to 1. (I'm pretty sure popo's are in that range) If it could be harmful, why would yamaha state a min. rating?

Old 08-15-2010, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Running higher octane won't boost anything on a machine that isn't built for it but won't cause any harm either. I always run it because that is the only blend we can get here in MN that doesn't have ethanol in it.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:31 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

actually it can make certain vechicles run worse and have predention issues. the higher ocatang gas is to help cooler the higher compression engines like the car pictured in my avtar. this requires only prem. gas or it looses power and causes it to heat the engine more. the only time that higher octang is better is when it has that ethnol crap in it and it helps keep the octang points up higher longer as this gas looses its goodness rather quickly. imo

Old 08-16-2010, 01:51 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by stendori
actually it can make certain vechicles run worse and have predention issues. the higher ocatang gas is to help cooler the higher compression engines like the car pictured in my avtar. this requires only prem. gas or it looses power and causes it to heat the engine more. the only time that higher octang is better is when it has that ethnol crap in it and it helps keep the octang points up higher longer as this gas looses its goodness rather quickly. imo
I dont see how i a higher octane fuel could make certain vehicles run worse and have pre-ignition issues, because the higher the octane rating of a fuel the MORE resistant it is to pre ignition, all pre-ignition is is a combination of cylinder temperature and compression which causes fuel to ignite before tdc (top dead center) without a spark, just like a diesel. So running 93 as opposed to 87 would make it more difficult for pre ignition or "pinging" to occour. I just dont know what the compression ratio is on my engine, thats why i started this thread. But there cant be any harm to running 93 as opposed to 87 unless your engine specifically needs the higher octane fuel in order to not ping. I wouldnt recommend putting sunoco 107 in something thats not a race engine, or turbo, cuz that would burn way too hot and probably melt your pistons. Ha, i knew this thread would be a good one!!!!!!!!

Old 08-16-2010, 01:54 PM
Trailblazer
Talking

Originally Posted by Specta
I guess that took care of that topic. (insert wink)

(Insert wink)

This ones still goin strong!!!!!

Old 08-16-2010, 02:16 PM
Pro Rider

if you ran 107 octane in a motor that didn't need it, it still wouldn't cause any damage to the internals of your motor, it does not run any hotter, the reason you get higher octane is to keep your engine cooler. why do you think they run alcohol in the really high compression motors, it burns cooler.

Quick Reply: Octane question.........