Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Camo peeling on RSE HO?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2001, 10:00 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone else had problems with their camo peeling on their RSE H.O.I was washing mine and the nozzle hit the front fender and it chipped a piece off. I told the dealer and he didnt ask many questions and said that it shouldnt have did that and orderd me another one under warranty. Well Ive had it for about a month and was pressure washing it and it happened again the chips started flying!Im going to go tommorow and see about getting a new one again! I love the camo but Im getting sick of the chiping. I sure hope they will replace the front plastic again?

Old 03-05-2001, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider

It hasn't happened to mine (I dont powerwash)but the dealer said it happened to someone else,they replaced it

Old 03-06-2001, 01:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

Both of the sp500's that I ride with have peeled.It appears Polaris has a problem with the early ones- it appears the later ones do not exhibit as many problems. The good news is that Polaris is replacing the plastic without a question.

Old 03-06-2001, 01:29 PM
Pro Rider

Jamie,

This is a common problem. As you discovered it is not camo plastic, it is green plastic with camo cloth "permanently" bonded to the plastic. A clearcoat is then applied over the camo cloth.

There has been much discussion over this in the past. Do a search of the Polaris area with the keywords 'peeling' or 'chipping' and you should find the discussions.

My green '98 Sportsman almost traded to the dealer for a new RSE. I noticed at the dealer that the camo was chipped slightly where the side panels attach to the main panel. The finger nail test showed the camo was easily removed near the edges of the plastic. It was much more solidly bonded in the middles of the panels. Discussions with some of the guys here who own them confirmed this. They indicated that a hit in the bush with a stick or rock would produce a chip. Many have had panels replaced. Many had chips they couldn't attribute to any particular hit.

That said, Floodrunner and some of the others here have the RSE and are extremely happy. They all seem to agree that chipping and peeling occurs. Floodrunner applies camo tape over the tough wear areas on the bike, then removes it prior to trading the bike in.

The thought that early ones were worse than newer ones. Not that I have seen. Actually, your test of your new panel just disproved that! It is chipping already.

Can you "permanently" bond cloth to shiny plastic and expect it to be permanent? I doubt it. The proof is in the pudding - it doesn't work well.

Kinda bites that you pay all that extra for the RSE or the DUSE and it may peel unless it is babied.

My concern was the combination of bushwacking and temperature extremes that we get here in Canada.

Just keep replacing panels as long as Polaris will provide them!

Check out some of the old discussions.

DJ

Old 03-06-2001, 05:21 PM
MNT
Pro Rider

I've got a RSE and no peeling. I go through brush and stuff too. I just looked it over again.

Old 03-06-2001, 07:26 PM
Range Rover

Just got back from the dealer. They said they would order a new one right away. They asked me if I pressure wash it and I said yes. Then He said that your not suppose to pressure wash any atv. They were very nice about it. I dont believe the brush or branches affect it because Ive been through alot of that with no problems. It seems to flake when Im pressure washing it. Hopefully Ive just had a case of bad luck. Anyways Im not going to pressure wash it anymore!

Old 03-07-2001, 08:47 AM
MNT
Pro Rider

Oh, I don't pressure wash. Maybe that's why mine's hanging in there. Although, even if I did pressure wash, I wouldn't give it full power spray on the top. The stickers would fly off.

Trending Topics

Old 03-07-2001, 11:02 AM
Trailblazer

Forget those stickers anyway. They dont belong on a camo ride. I understand the liability issues but they should have made them clear. I also have had chipping on mine. This is by the gas tank area and I only use a garden hose to wash her off. When I take it in for the 1st oil change they can replace the piece that is chipping. I only have 70 miles on it...I like the camo but the chipping has me worried.

Old 05-31-2001, 11:25 PM
Pro Rider

Yuppers - I've got a 2K1 RSE and I'm loosing camo all over the place. Fenders - front and rear, and side panels where the saddle bag velcroe is pulling it off the plastic. Some people say its from my pressure washer, others voice strongly that its the Armor All I use after cleaning it up. One guy says he worked at 3M and they claim not to get Armor All near any of their adhesives - eats it right up. My bike is currently at the shop getting all the plastic replaced under warranty. That shop claims they havnt seen any peeling like mine in 2 years. No arguements, they are willingly replaceing the damaged pieces. One of my concerns was how well the camo was adhered to the plastic when I bought it. Should have stayed with red or yellow, would have avoided all this BS. I plan on using a clear protective sheet/tape in the high wear areas once I get the bike back. I know exactly where to put it now! Next bike will be a Honda.

Old 06-01-2001, 08:40 AM
Pro Rider

Well, mine ended up peeling afterall,and was replaced in a week.
It seemed to peel where the warning stickers were before I peeled the off.?So this time I'm gonna put camo tape over the stickers and see if it holds up

Quick Reply: Camo peeling on RSE HO?