Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Belt blown apart.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2001, 01:10 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey does anyone know why the belts fall apart 'causes ect.
The only different thing I have is a white spring as apposed to the stock blue.
The day before mine fell apart my buddies did . He's got the same spring same machine and two rides on a new belt.
Your thoughts appreciated.
Matt
2000 500 Scrambler.

Old 03-06-2001, 07:47 AM
Trailblazer

When I did own a 350L I had the same problem as yours I think.The belt is blowing because of excessive heat build-up.Check clutch alignmentor maybe even primary engagement point.

Old 03-06-2001, 07:50 AM
Pro Rider

Oh no,Mine did the same thing.Installed the white spring and 40miles later the belt busted up.I thought it was because of a little brain fart I had while installing it.I have the new belt installed now and have only put 15 miles on since,If it happens again the white spring comes off.

Old 03-06-2001, 10:07 AM
Pro Rider

Chopperbill may be best to answer this, BUT, maybe some were devective???

Seems odd that so many belts are blowing up! And right after the warranty thing w/ Polaris.

Old 03-06-2001, 10:23 AM
Pro Rider

I have over 3500 miles on my original belt, and roughly 1000 since installing the white primary spring. Just this weekend we went snow blasting. It warmed up to about 40 or 45, and the snow was wet, sticky, and slushy. I was going full throttle for a couple minutes at a time in low range, full throttle, in 4wd, with the speedo showing between 15 and 20 MPH carrying a passenger. In light of all this, I really doubt the white spring was to blame in itself.
There is one possibility I can think of. If you are doing a lot of slow, rock crawling or digging through mud slowly, maybe the clutch isn't engaging fully due to the higher engagement RPM of the white spring. If the belt slips, it will quickly overheat & won't last long, especially under load.

Old 03-06-2001, 01:40 PM
Range Rover

Does Goodyear make a Powerstreak belt for ATVs with engine braking? If so, that would be the way to go. I am really impressed w/the strength and performance of my bike with a Goodyear belt on it. These belts are tough.

Regards,

MrMan

Old 03-06-2001, 01:55 PM
Pro Rider

I was in low alot the day this happened,So how do we fix the clutch not engageing

Old 03-06-2001, 02:26 PM
Pro Rider

A good belt will not helpeven a cheap brand belt should give you over 1000 miles ,there is something going wrong with you clutch job.

Old 03-07-2001, 03:15 AM
Pro Rider

First, make sure the primary clutch is good. Before you put in the new belt, take the primary spring out and be sure the pulley halves slide against each other freely. Also make sure the buttons that run against the towers are tight. There should be very little or no play in these buttons. As you slide the pulley halves in and out against each other, try to make the movable half cockeyed where it slides. This should make any rough spots in the sliding mechanism show up. If everything seems smooth, the clutch SHOULD be OK. Also be sure all 3 weights swing freely while you are at it.
If everything seems good, I really don't know what else it could be.
The belt will burn if throttle is applied and the wheels are not turning. Try to think back if sometime during your ride, you got stuck, and gave it gas and it sat there momentarily without spinning the wheels. Only a second or two are necessary to overheat the belt.
Maybe you were trying to climb a big rock, and used the throttle to keep from backing down it when you had to stop for a second to assess the situation. Any conditions like these are rough on the belt.

Old 03-07-2001, 10:03 AM
Pro Rider

"01" machine have life time warranty on the belt. I guess when you fiddle with the clutch you may be out of luck. Probably up to your dealer if you may have screwed things up.
We had a ditch rider put 5500 miles on his Sportsman, in 6 months, mud, up and down ditch banks, before he had to replace belt. Even then it was still running, just had a piece of the backing come loose. It had stock clutching and he was tickled pink with the performance and the life of the belt.

Quick Reply: Belt blown apart.