Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

AWD hub help

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 03:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry AWD hub help

its off an 2002 scrambler heres whats going on:

Recently right side stopped working... worked here and there would randomly engage when buried in mud.
Took it apart to inspect it they hillard clutch has shattered.

Took the one off the parts bike, the entire mech, armature plate and hiliard and reinstalled, no right wheel engagement under load, if bike is in the air it will spin at same speed as the left but i can stop it with my hand.

I have also tried another hub/hiliard\armature and no success. Could it be the coil? only thing i havent checked?

When i tried switching hub housings it did work under load.... then it wouldnt disengage, then it went back to the same as it was, only working with no load on it....

I am completely lost and dont know what to try next, sick of 3wd too

Old 12-04-2010, 08:08 AM
Pro Rider

put bike on jackstands, get all wheels off of ground, take that side apart, turn keyon awdswitch on , spin wheels a little bit, see if armature plate is stuck to magnet, should be pretty hard to pull offf if not then magnet is bad

Old 12-04-2010, 08:38 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks, be doing that when I'm done work today, I've been doing a lot of searching on here.

Haven't found much on the hub coil/ magnet, I've found some...
How hard is it to remove/ install a new coil?

It makes sense it could be the coil right? Be able to engage the wheel, but stop it with force from my hand? Thanks for the imput

Old 12-04-2010, 09:32 AM
Pro Rider
Old 12-04-2010, 09:53 AM
Pro Rider

take the front cover ,under headlight off, follow wires up strut from hub, make sure their not broken anywhere, unplug coil , believe they are red-grey wires, get a multi meter and see if there is 12 volts coming out of plug -to coil

Old 12-04-2010, 12:14 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks, I will be using that link, saw it in another thread too, I checked the wires for power right before the strut and the greyish one has power but the darker purplish does not, guessing its ground, I didn't use a multimeter, just a test light, isn't the plug to the coil buried beneath the blue goo?
Assuming I have 12volts there its safe to start testing the coil

Old 12-04-2010, 01:17 PM
Pro Rider

There is no plug under the blue silicone, the 2 wires go straight into the coil there is no way to see inside it. I`m no electrical genus but i think if theres voltage going in there should be some coming out.
I did have a wire brake under the hub seal sleeve once before, somehow it spun enough to pinch the wire. Try this get a multi meter put it on olms resistance unplug both wires for the magnetic coil touch 1 wire with the tester and touch good ground somewhere with the other lead of the tester, do this same thing with the other wire to the magnetic coil you should get no reading in the multi meter. now test the coil in the same manner using both wires. I`m not sure of the olm reading you should get, but you should have continuity in the 2 wires.

Old 12-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Pro Rider

That's just checking if there are any hidden breaks right? Thank you be doing this in an hour or two, assuming I find my mulitmeter

Old 12-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Pro Rider

Yes thats just checking to see if there are any brakes in the wires.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:36 PM
Pro Rider

Well did the wireing test and magnet test, both were good, magnet is very strong, took another look at all the other parts as the link said to do, I can't believe I missed it, the armature plate I put on was flat but the tabs were just a little bit to short to attach to the clutch, so I tried another one that I have off the parts bike, and boom 4x4 all that hassle for the lil plate.
Thanks for all the help guys, ride safe