Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

What snow plow should I buy ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 02:19 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What snow plow should I buy ?

I have a 2002 Sportsman 500 - 4x4 with a front mounted winch.
Whay snow plow are you guys running & what one should I buy? I need some help here.

Old 12-16-2010, 04:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if the glacier 1 system will work but would be a nice set-up and you can find them cheap. Glacier 2 is junk IMO and haven't heard anything on the 3's(might not make them for your ride anyway). I've been happy with the eagle plow on my rzr and they make them for atv's also. Manufactured in the USA too which you don't see much anymore.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:22 PM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!
Default City Slicker

I use the tusk city slicker 50 inch plow on my big bear. I am on the second season using it and have been very happy. I also use a winch to raise the plow. I ordered it on rmatv/mc and it was shipped to my door with a mounting plate made specifically for my quad for 359 bucks. Plow is easy to mount, easy to remove, five blade positioning, spring loaded for when you hit something that maybe you shouldnt have, and very affordable. If the significant other is a hold up on the price...you could give her the same option I gave my wife...I could spend 360 for a plow or I could spend 20 bucks on a shovel that would fit her hands and we could shovel together! She got the credit card out!!

Another note to consider...Rocky Mountain Atv is offering credit to your account if you order before the new year...I just ordered some new ITP Mudlite XLs and got a credit toward my next purchase for 50 bucks. Post back if you want the code to get the credit!
Mudslinger2

Old 12-16-2010, 06:15 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Glacier 1 and really like it but I don't think they make them anymore. When I take the plow off the mount doesn't hang down and hit stuff. My old plow mount was hitting so much stuff I had to take it off every year then put it back on for winter. Like most people I use a winch to raise and lower the blade.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:51 AM
Trailblazer

I have a Glacier 2 on my 05 Sp 500. I agree that they are not the strongest plow set up out there but, Man are they easy to put on and off. I'm happy with mine. I also have a Cycle country and a Moose on other atv's, Moose is by far the strongest.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:54 PM
Trailblazer

I bought a new 50" moose plow with a used Grizzly last year. The plow has held up great, even with me learning how not to move snow. I learned real fast what the big springs were for...... they are to snap the plow back against the main bracket and make a BANG, loud enough to get everyones attention.

This year I upgraded to a 800 sportsman, it was a $68 mounting plate to make it ready for the new ride. The mounting points do stick down about an inch. While this does not affect where I have been riding, judging by pics I have seen here, it could hurt you if you ride where some of these folks do.

The other thing I like about the moose setup is I can angle the plow all the way to one side and make a path down my side walk, with out taking up the sod. Not knowing the other brands, they might do the same or be better at it.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider

I've heard good things about Moose as well...I personally have Cycle Country push tubes and a Quadboss blade...It's done a pretty good job for 5 yrs. so far...Just make sure when you are getting one to make sure you get on wide enough so when it's angled to one side that it still clears the outsides of the tires...I wouldn't go any less than 52" minimum...I have a 52" now but if I were to get another I'd probably go 60".

John

Old 12-18-2010, 07:42 AM
Trailblazer

i have a Moose 60" plow that i had on my 02 SP 700, now on my 08 SP 800 and have had no problems

Old 12-18-2010, 08:35 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by GITRDONE
I have a 2002 Sportsman 500 - 4x4 with a front mounted winch.
Whay snow plow are you guys running & what one should I buy? I need some help here.
I agree on the Glacier II systems... JUNK. Most of the Pure Polaris accessories (including Plow systems) are now made in China so they can maximize their profit on that junk.

Anyhow, the Tusk City Slicker set up that RMATV sells is actually the Eagle Plow System which is made in USA. The gentleman that owns that company was the individual that use to own Moose when they were made in the USA. The Eagle/Tusk systems are excellent, very affordable, and pretty easy to use. I would also recommend the 60" plow, unless you do sidewalks a lot.

If you want a quick detachable system, then your choices are fewer.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:39 AM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I myself (living in Canada) Would by a 48 inch Blower with a 13 H.P motor instead of Plowing.......I see alot of issues plowing here in the Snow-Belt area using Quads(All Makes/Models).
That's my point of view though.......If a person with a Quad don't get very much snow over the winter season then a blade would be fine.......Caper.....

Quick Reply: What snow plow should I buy ?